Can anyone explain to me the additional button mapping feature in the cores?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Waifu4Life

Can anyone explain to me the additional button mapping feature in the cores?

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

A bit ashamed to admit this after 3 and a half years, but I have no clue how the additional button mapping feature works once you're inside a MiSTer core. Everytime I tried messing with it, it doesn't seem to work. Any good docs on this feature out there?

Cheers
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Can anyone explain to me the additional button mapping feature in the cores?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

"Additional buttons" is a second set of mappings on the same controller. You need to advance all the way through to the end just like the first mapping in order to save it. Use space/menu to skip buttons you don't want to map.

Main use is if you have more buttons on your controller than will be using on the core. So you could have two different buttons both be fire. Another thing is if you want a set of standard and auto-fire buttons like imitating the 8bitdo PC engine controller. So you could say map both A/Y and B/X to I and II, and then set up mister's auto-fire on only Y and X.

Another use I had was to set up dual-stick controls on the Genesis core for Xenocrisis. Used additional buttons to map ABXY to the right analog, so you can still use face buttons as normal for menus and other games.

Note that you can map two different core buttons to the same controller input using the additional button method. This can be handy if you want to trigger a combo of two buttons with one press.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Can anyone explain to me the additional button mapping feature in the cores?

Unread post by Newsdee »

It notably allows multi button mapping, I wrote a doc on the wiki about it with examples:

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... ltibutton/
Waifu4Life

Thank you both, I'll try this after work.
Waifu4Life

Hmm, this was not the results that I was expecting. My goal was a simple one. Take MegaDrive games for example. I like the following configuration:

C: Jump
B: Main action
A: Secondary action

That being said, some games have different button mapping and no option to remap them. So though I could swap between 2 button configurations per core.

Any solution for this?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Ah, unfortunately I don't think this feature works that way at all. Both mappings are always active simultaneously, you can't quickly flip one on and the other off.

Easiest thing would be to have something recognized as a different controller (different VID/PID) which will save a different mapping. For example, the m30 2.4ghz USB when using the 2.4ghz dongle can change between appearing as a Switch pro controller, xbox 360 controller, and direct input, and each can be mapped separately. (hold down home + a direction for several seconds to switch mode.) Be careful getting two of the same controller though, or getting other x-input or switch controllers as they will probably appear as a 360 controller or pro controller (same VID/PID) and therefore share the same mappings.
Waifu4Life

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:20 am Ah, unfortunately I don't think this feature works that way at all. Both mappings are always active simultaneously, you can't quickly flip one on and the other off.

Easiest thing would be to have something recognized as a different controller (different VID/PID) which will save a different mapping. For example, the m30 2.4ghz USB when using the 2.4ghz dongle can change between appearing as a Switch pro controller, xbox 360 controller, and direct input, and each can be mapped separately. (hold down home + a direction for several seconds to switch mode.) Be careful getting two of the same controller though, or getting other x-input or switch controllers as they will probably appear as a 360 controller or pro controller (same VID/PID) and therefore share the same mappings.
No, the easiest is to keep doing what I was doing and just remap in the core without saving :lol:
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Superb video about button mapping:

https://youtu.be/8tGPDTcuDSE