web2rgbmatrix

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
kconger

Re: web2rgbmatrix

Unread post by kconger »

venice wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:01 pm It works great, many thanks.

I/we only need to find a few replacements for some static gifs.
The defender pic is a bit too retro, the defender pic contains just a few pixels and there is no pic for galaga.
But I think the picture for galagamw can be used.

Question, Is there a short blackout between the animated and the static gif?
Please do send PRs for anything you think is better or for missing GIFs.

There is a screen clear in between the animated and static gif, if there wasn't it would paint overtop anything left on the screen from the previous GIF.
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

I've added a collection of animated GIFs that I've gathered from a few sources credited in the README.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Wow, more than 3600 Files 8-)

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

kconger

Unread post by kconger »

I recently discovered that using MGL files can change the core name reported thus the GIF we display. I have MGL files for Game Gear, SuperGrafx, Mega Duck, SG-1000, Atari2600, etc. This also allows you to organize their docs/software into their own folder and have unique settings.
hellbent

Unread post by hellbent »

kconger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:30 pm I recently discovered that using MGL files can change the core name reported thus the GIF we display. I have MGL files for Game Gear, SuperGrafx, Mega Duck, SG-1000, Atari2600, etc. This also allows you to organize their docs/software into their own folder and have unique settings.
whoa....

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

kconger

Unread post by kconger »

kconger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:30 pm I recently discovered that using MGL files can change the core name reported thus the GIF we display. I have MGL files for Game Gear, SuperGrafx, Mega Duck, SG-1000, Atari2600, etc. This also allows you to organize their docs/software into their own folder and have unique settings.
Here are the MGL files I'm using, they will work with GIF names in the web2rgbmatrix repo. Place them in the _Console except SG-1000.mgl should go in _Computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

I've just released version 1.5 of web2rgbmatrix. Changes include:
  • Settings moved to its own page
  • Added brightness setting
  • Added client timeout setting
  • Added the ability to upload animated GIFs through the Web
  • Some code cleanup and bug fixes
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Got mine working!! This is exciting! Thank you again for sharing. Currently I'm loading the animated gifs from the MiSTer's storage, which is working well (and it's quicker than I would have expected given my past troubles with ESP32 wifi).

What might I be doing incorrectly with the brightness setting? I haven't yet been able to see a difference even when I set it to a value of 1. I change the value and hit save. If I reboot, the value appears to be reset to 255.
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:57 pm Got mine working!! This is exciting! Thank you again for sharing. Currently I'm loading the animated gifs from the MiSTer's storage, which is working well (and it's quicker than I would have expected given my past troubles with ESP32 wifi).

What might I be doing incorrectly with the brightness setting? I haven't yet been able to see a difference even when I set it to a value of 1. I change the value and hit save. If I reboot, the value appears to be reset to 255.
Glad to hear that it's working for you. You are correct brightness wasn't working, this is fixed in 1.6.
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

kconger wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 pm
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:57 pm Got mine working!! This is exciting! Thank you again for sharing. Currently I'm loading the animated gifs from the MiSTer's storage, which is working well (and it's quicker than I would have expected given my past troubles with ESP32 wifi).

Glad to hear that it's working for you. You are correct brightness wasn't working, this is fixed in 1.6.
Ha! I was prepared to be told that I was missing something obvious. Much appreciated!

I also half expected an explanation about how we perceive brightness as talked about here: https://ledshield.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... ection-no/

I did the OTA update manually, which worked great, and then I ran the update script on the MiSTer and realized only then that the script handles the ESP32 OTA as well. Very slick!

The brightness setting is working well now. I may even forego the diffuser I was going to try to 3D print when I go to mount everything in its final position now that it's not blinding me. I'll try both ways before deciding that though.

I see that you also implemented a setting to change the text color. This is very welcome as it's now possible to "mute" the text for cores that don't have an associated gif by setting it to black. I also took all the files from the agif folder and overwrote what was in the gifs folder so that I still get animations where possible, but a static image where not (and finally no output at all thanks to the color setting).

This is working really well, and everyone who has seen it so far has been amazed!
IMG_20220927_183945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mitchbucannon

Unread post by Mitchbucannon »

Hi all,

I'm trying to do your project but i always have "card Mount failed"....
My SD card reader pin are strangely labeled and I'm not really sure of my wiring. Can we check it together please?

SD Card reader -----> ESP32 Trinity
GND -----> GND
VCC -----> 3v3
MISO -----> pin 32
MOSI -----> SDA
SCK -----> pin 33
CS -----> SCL

Is it the right one?
Thanks,

Edit : 3v3 was not sufficient for the SD card reader with the 5V It seems ok!

Edit 2 : everything is working ! I'm really impressed. I will work on a case and animated gifs now :).

This is really a great update for my arcade cabinet. Thanks all!

Mitch.
Mitchbucannon

Hi,

I'm still working on my setup and I think that I have trouble with some colors :

For example : Alex kidd animated gif is mainly yellow normaly but on my setup it's pink...

Any idea?

Mitch
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

Mitchbucannon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:35 pm Hi,

I'm still working on my setup and I think that I have trouble with some colors :

For example : Alex kidd animated gif is mainly yellow normaly but on my setup it's pink...

Any idea?

Mitch
I just tested and it's yellow for me. If you're not using a Trinity it might be your pins to the matrix are swapped.
Mitchbucannon

kconger wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:49 pm
I just tested and it's yellow for me. If you're not using a Trinity it might be your pins to the matrix are swapped.
I'm using a trinity and In fact Green is blue and Blue is green so my RGB is a RBG but I don't know where to change it...
Do you think that I can do something particular in the ino file?

EDIT :
I've just modified and it's OK

Code: Select all

// Pins for a ESP32-Trinity
// Matrix pins
#define E 18
#define B1 27
#define B2 13
#define G1 26
#define G2 12
Mitch
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

Mitchbucannon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 pm
kconger wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:49 pm
I'm using a trinity and In fact Green is blue and Blue is green so my RGB is a RBG but I don't know where to change it...
Do you think that I can do something particular in the ino file?

Mitch
Ah, the matrix pins are different. Grab the ino file I just pushed up. I added the red pin defines as well, you can adjust the matrix pin defines and recompile and test.

https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_web2r ... ix.ino#L70
Mitchbucannon

kconger wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:20 pm
Ah, the matrix pins are different. Grab the ino file I just pushed up. I added the red pin defines as well, you can adjust the matrix pin defines and recompile and test.

https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_web2r ... ix.ino#L70
Thanks, It's good with your new file and I had to switch pin numbers between green and blue.

Mitch
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Great Idea to add the Pin definition into the Sketch as I had to swap B* and G* Pins as well to get the colors right.

Here is the definition for my P3 Waveshare Panel.
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/RGB-Matrix-P3-64x32

Code: Select all

#define B1 27
#define B2 13
#define G1 26
#define G2 12
#define R1 25
#define R2 14

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

Mitchbucannon

Hi,

I spend hours to define how to add it to my arcade cabinet and I'm pretty happy with the result.

IMG-20221001-185133.jpg

Thanks again for your work!

Mitch
KoolKolo

Unread post by KoolKolo »

Wow! This project is just so awesome!!!

@kconger:
May it be possible to add a feature to the screensaver? Show for example the Tetris clock for 30 seconds, then random gifs from the SD card for a an amount of seconds which is customisable?

So i can see 30 seconds of the Tetris clock, then 90 seconds random gifs from the SD card and then 30 seconds Tetirs clock and so on?

This would make this project even cooler.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Kai
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

tty2rgbmatrix and web2rgbmatrix have moved to a shared repository of GIF marquees. As part of this change, I have released an update that requires you to rename the GIF directory names on your matrix SD.

"agifs" --> "animated"
"gifs" --> "static"

Sorry for the inconvenience.
siffland

Unread post by siffland »

Is there anyway I can get the STL files for the end pieces, or can they be added to the GitHub repository. Been working on a way to mount it and yours seems to be a great option.

Also My web2rgbmatrix is working great, what is the advantage of the SDcard vs none (aside from bandwidth to upload gifs).
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

Hi

The 3MF files are already in the GitHub Repo: https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_web2r ... ocs/models

Playback from an SD card has more options and works better.
Mitchbucannon

Hi,

I've just set up another "topper" for my arcade cabinet with your last version.
Update is very nice but I think that :
- brightness change is no longer working.
- if I select animated gif only in options, It's not taken in account. It does not work even after a reboot and remains on "animated then static".

I really appreciate your work!

Mitch
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

Mitchbucannon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 pm Hi,

I've just set up another "topper" for my arcade cabinet with your last version.
Update is very nice but I think that :
- brightness change is no longer working.
- if I select animated gif only in options, It's not taken in account. It does not work even after a reboot and remains on "animated then static".

I really appreciate your work!

Mitch
Brightness appears to work for me, when I set it to 16 for example it's pretty dim here. I did find a bug with playback settings and have just released a new version that fixes this.
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

There has been a bunch of updates in the last month. I've updated the first post with the current feature set, also see the GitHub project for more info.
Sliff2000

Unread post by Sliff2000 »

Call me a newbie -- Have the latest Arduino 2.03. Installed the libraries and can't get the code to compile. Any help I would be grateful.

kconger

Unread post by kconger »

That doesn't look like my code, it looks like you downloaded GitHub html.

Sliff2000

Silly ... thanks.

Sliff2000

So I have a ESP32-Trinity board that I successfully uploaded and everything looks great. I wanted to screw around and see if I can add another panel which I changed on line 111. Compiles no issue -- but when it goes to upload I get:

Sketch uses 1001021 bytes (76%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 74708 bytes (22%) of dynamic memory, leaving 252972 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
esptool.py v4.2.1
Serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-1450
Connecting....Traceback (most recent call last):
File "esptool.py", line 34, in <module>
File "esptool/init.py", line 1004, in _main
File "esptool/init.py", line 790, in main
File "esptool/loader.py", line 1108, in flash_set_parameters
File "esptool/loader.py", line 406, in check_command
File "esptool/loader.py", line 375, in command
File "esptool/loader.py", line 307, in read
StopIteration
[19548] Failed to execute script 'esptool' due to unhandled exception!

Chip is ESP32-D0WD (revision 1)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 34:94:54:d5:0f:54
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 921600
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

I also tried the OTA and I get: Method Not Allowed

I had the trinity unpluged from the led boards and only plugged into the usb to my pc.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong -- any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks ((Fortunately it is still working!))

kconger

Unread post by kconger »

For USB programming try reducing your baud rate, 921600 was not stable for me.

For OTA are you using my web interface?