Any Hope for SNAC Control but Virtual Memcard?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Any Hope for SNAC Control but Virtual Memcard?

Unread post by rhester72 »

Is there any hope that there can be a menu option to allow for use of a virtual memory card in slot 1 while simultaneously using a SNAC controller? I imagine in such a configuration that the physical memory card slot will be disabled, which is fine. Having only slot 2 for memory cards is problematic but it's hard to give up SNAC. =)
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: Any Hope for SNAC Control but Virtual Memcard?

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Memory card is no dedicated slot, despite how it looks on the console, it's using the same lines as the controller in the same port.

It's not fully impossible, but WAY too much effort and could lead to random problems depending on the connected gamepad.
And if there is something people would hate, it's random problems with their saves ;)
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

The Dualsense 5 controllers in wired mode are very low latency, something like 2ms, so you might not notice the difference if you bought one and switched away from SNAC. It's not as authentic-feeling, but at least it's still a Playstation controller, albeit evolved.
naylord

Unread post by naylord »

Multitap + real memory card works well though I guess you will run out of space eventually. It'd be great if they'd let you backup your real memory card in the system menu by copying to a virtual card on slot 2 from the memory card boot menu.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

that's totally possible. You can select snac for port 1 and emulated gamepad + memcard on slot 2 and copy in the BIOS.
chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

Malor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 pm The Dualsense 5 controllers in wired mode are very low latency, something like 2ms, so you might not notice the difference if you bought one and switched away from SNAC. It's not as authentic-feeling, but at least it's still a Playstation controller, albeit evolved.
i've been almost exclusively using the Dualsense for console and arcade cores (except computer cores with daemonbite and a zipstick) and barely notice a difference with SNAC. The original PS1 dual shock with MisterFPGA.co.uk SNAC feels great but the Dualsense is far more convienient.
naylord

Unread post by naylord »

chunky_tesco wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:11 pm
Malor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:52 pm The Dualsense 5 controllers in wired mode are very low latency, something like 2ms, so you might not notice the difference if you bought one and switched away from SNAC. It's not as authentic-feeling, but at least it's still a Playstation controller, albeit evolved.
i've been almost exclusively using the Dualsense for console and arcade cores (except computer cores with daemonbite and a zipstick) and barely notice a difference with SNAC. The original PS1 dual shock with MisterFPGA.co.uk SNAC feels great but the Dualsense is far more convienient.
The PS1 Dual Analog has such wonderful handles. I really hate the oblique chonkiness of the DualSense (even if the haptics and triggers are awesome)
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

naylord wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:58 am
chunky_tesco wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:11 pm
The PS1 Dual Analog has such wonderful handles. I really hate the oblique chonkiness of the DualSense (even if the haptics and triggers are awesome)
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics either. I way preferred the feel of the 8BitDo Pro 2 Bluetooth model, but the firmware on that stick is awful and crashes my computer's USB stack when I use a switchbox to switch back and forth. The DS5 is far less comfortable, but the firmware seems way better. It's also lower latency... the Pro 2 is horrible in Bluetooth mode (16ms, a full frame behind), and not that great in wired mode. The DS5 in wired mode is about 2ms, faster than all but a very few controllers. Weirdly, most of the controllers that are faster come from 8BitDo.