General purpose update script for tty2xxx displays (including i2c2oled and update_all)

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

General purpose update script for tty2xxx displays (including i2c2oled and update_all)

Unread post by RealLarry »

I was tired of running an updater script for each tty2xxx setup @venice, I and other made, plus running update_all at the end. My wish was to have an all-inclusive updater that is doing this job as that's the cause we're making machines and computers: They have to do the job, automagically.

That is where update_tty2xxx comes into play: Simple, easily extendable, detects available tty2xxx display setups (including i2c2oled) and is running update_all at the end. No earth-shattering invention but a single "run one script to have it all".

Another reason for this script are the statistics of our used devices: >550 setups in use, but many of them aren't doing a regularly update. Some of them never since installing months ago. They (you) are missing some improvements and many many new pictures.

Have a look at the project page and start making your life easier today!
(No batteries included. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about possible side effects.)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
Neocaron

Re: General purpose update script for tty2xxx displays (including i2c2oled and update_all)

Unread post by Neocaron »

So it picks the best resolution + update all for any screen? If that's the case, it's pretty golden ^^
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: General purpose update script for tty2xxx displays (including i2c2oled and update_all)

If I understand you correctly, yes, that's the meaning of update_tty2xxx: To run the updater for each existing tty2xxx display, one after one, and update_all at the end while enjoying a coffee and watching the progress :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

@kconger 's MiSTer_web2rgbmatrix got an updater script and is therefore available to this updater. Welcome!

https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_web2rgbmatrix
Goodfella

Unread post by Goodfella »

Hello,

New guy here. Just started with Mister a few months ago. I would like to use the tty2xxx mod to display to an LCD marquee on a game cabinet. Is there a way to output this signal via HDMI? The LCD display has an HDMI input.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Goodfella wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 am Hello,

New guy here. Just started with Mister a few months ago. I would like to use the tty2xxx mod to display to an LCD marquee on a game cabinet. Is there a way to output this signal via HDMI? The LCD display has an HDMI input.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Well, tty2xxx is just only an updater script for most, if not any tty2xxx display setups, that normally are using their own updater. What you are might be interested in is (my) new tty2rpi project. Have a look at it's project page at https://github.com/ojaksch/MiSTer_tty2rpi and don't hesitate to ask, if something is unclear.
Goodfella

Unread post by Goodfella »

Awesome, thanks! I think I may have an old Pi somewhere, if not I will get one on order.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Goodfella wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:53 am Awesome, thanks! I think I may have an old Pi somewhere, if not I will get one on order.
You are welcome! Please tell me some more details about your HDMI/Marquee display.
Raspberry's are out of stock everywhere or overly expensive these times. If you are still having an old RPi, this is okay and will work, albeit (much) slower. But if can get a more powerful RPi (e.g. RPi3) later, just exchange your SD from the old to the new one and continue having graphical fun :)

EDIT: New thread for this Add-On opened.