Help With Folders Structure

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
BronNeo

Help With Folders Structure

Unread post by BronNeo »

Hi,

I’m totally new to the project and I have just received a pre assembled unit with a pre configured SD Card.

I have run Update All and I am confused about the folders on the main menu: on root there are an Arcade, CAVE, CPS1,CPS1.5 and CPS2 folders, but on the Arcade folder there are also sub folders CAVE, CPS1,CPS1.5 and CPS2, and what’s more confusing is that some CPS games are listed by themself on the arcade folder, and the games are are different versions, for example on /CPS1 I have the Japanese version of street fighter and on /ARCADE/Street Fighter I have the world version, using different version of the core from what I read in the About menu.

On the root I also have a Console folder and all the consoles listed individually. Is it how the folders are supposed to be?

Should I format the sd card and start from scratch?

Thanks!
thiagoauler

Re: Help With Folders Structure

Unread post by thiagoauler »

As far as I know, the default structure for arcade is something like this:
* /_Arcade : contains all MRA files.. these are used to launch games.
* /_Arcade/cores: all binaries for the different cores are here… loaded automatically via MRA before mentioned
* /games/mame: all ROM files reside here, also loaded automatically via MRA

In Update_All, if you enable the Arcade Organizer… a bunch of shortcuts are created in a structured folder defaulted in /_Arcade/Arcade Organized

The folders you mentioned in the OP, looks like leftovers from the original configuration which was not standard.

My suggestion would be to make a clean install if you feel comfortable enough to perform. It’s pretty simple actually…
thiagoauler

Unread post by thiagoauler »

For Consoles and Computers it is like you said.
Each file represents a system, like SNES, NES, etc
You should provide the ROM files that must go in /games/<core_name>
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Assuming your premade came with roms then make sure you back them up before starting again
BronNeo

Unread post by BronNeo »

Thanks both, I ended up running a clean install and the folder structure is now way cleaner
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is why premades really shouldn't come with all this stuff, it's possible that the structure will change. They really shouldn't come with roms either, that's how you get customs to crack down on your shipments one day (see Pandora's Box units getting seized in Spain recently for an example). Leading the new user to water with some instructions should be more than enough.
birdybro~