Plugged in Wrong Power Source on Accident…Need Help

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Samelak

Plugged in Wrong Power Source on Accident…Need Help

Unread post by Samelak »

I was rearranging my electronics around and I on accident plugged a incorrect power source (12v) into my Mister. The power source was a PSU that just happen to have the exact same plug for the Mister…but I didn’t realize it. Initially I wasn’t getting a picture, but after taking it apart and putting back together, I get the menu screen again. Thinking I dodged the issue, I now cannot get any controller inputs to launch the menu or just move to another option…absolutely no input recognition. I tried using a keyboard, but nothing either. Did I fry something? Any thoughts?
Samelak

Re: Plugged in Wrong Power Source on Accident…Need Help

Unread post by Samelak »

Also, when I plug my Mister WiFi adapter in, it shuts the Mister down and lose my picture. As soon as it is removed, comes back….very strange.
mbandala

Unread post by mbandala »

The DE10-nano has a very effective over voltage protection circuit. That is the reason it didn't die. You must have killed your USB hub and everything that might have been connected to it. You may need to get the hub fixed or replaced.
mbandala

Don't plug those dead USB devices back in. You must throw them away, there is no fixing those since you applied 12V to 5V USB stuff.
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

The keyboard was not plugged in that isn’t working either. I tried other devices that where not plugged in at the time and nothing.
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

Would the top and bottom IO boards be burned out?
mbandala

Samelak wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:32 pm The keyboard was not plugged in that isn’t working either. I tried other devices that where not plugged in at the time and nothing.
I am not sure what kind of USB hub you had plugged in when that happened. You need to test with a hub you know it works. If you had an I/O board and SDRAM modules connected, they should be fine.
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

I have a Mister Add-ons setup in their aluminum case. So it has their analog IO board on top and their USB hub on the bottom. All I know is I cannot get any external input using a controller or keyboard. I tried multiple know good devices. I am able to cycle the screen using the buttons on top of the Mister.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Like other people said, your Mister is probably fine, but the usb board and the device connected in the usb port are probably all dead.
Something similar happenned to me with my OSSC so I know the feeling... :cry:
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

You can easily test the mister usb hub on a pc.
just unplug the jumper board that sits between the de-10 and the usb hub and use a regular usb cable to the usb hub.
And just plug it into a pc like any other hub to see if it works at all.
thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Samelak wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:35 pm Would the top and bottom IO boards be burned out?
Here's my understanding. The I/O board (top board) is powered off the DE10's power which should have been reduced to the proper 5V by the DE10's voltage regulator. The USB hub (bottom board) is powered directly (presumably from a Y-splitter or daisy chained) and would not have been capable of surviving 12V.

Put simply, as others have said, it is likely the USB hub (bottom board) is dead and likely every USB device connected to it at the time.
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

Well, I tried plugging in my controller into the top I/O board USB port still not getting any inputs.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The I/O "USB" port is not a USB port.
thisisamigaspeaking

Samelak wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 am Well, I tried plugging in my controller into the top I/O board USB port still not getting any inputs.
It's not "the top I/O board" it's "the I/O board" as there is only one in a MiSTer. That's not a USB port on the I/O board it's the SNAC port. The bottom board is "the USB hub".

It is unlikely that your analog I/O board got fried since the DE10 did not and that's where it gets its power. I don't think there is really anything to fry on it anyway. Do the LEDs work?
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

No it´s the "User Port" not the snac port, but sure snac do use the user port.
And since the user port is NOT wired the same as a USB port there is a chance that whatever was plugged into the user port is now broken (if it was not broken before that is).

SO PLEASE DO NOT PLUG ANY USB DEVICES INTO THE USER PORT!!!
The three reasons it is a USB3 port that is used is that it has enough connections, it is pretty robust, and it´s cheap.
thisisamigaspeaking

grizzly wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:33 pm No it´s the "User Port" not the snac port, but sure snac do use the user port.
Thank you yes, if I am going to try to give the correct terminology it is important to get it all correct. I think it does help reduce confusion to understand how these things are referred to.
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:43 am
Samelak wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 am Well, I tried plugging in my controller into the top I/O board USB port still not getting any inputs.
It's not "the top I/O board" it's "the I/O board" as there is only one in a MiSTer. That's not a USB port on the I/O board it's the SNAC port. The bottom board is "the USB hub".

It is unlikely that your analog I/O board got fried since the DE10 did not and that's where it gets its power. I don't think there is really anything to fry on it anyway. Do the LEDs work?
I get all three LEDs on top to light up. Unfortunately Mister Addons is out for the top and bottom boards. I guess I am going to have to wait until they get restocked.
thisisamigaspeaking

Samelak wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:01 am
thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:43 am

I get all three LEDs on top to light up. Unfortunately Mister Addons is out for the top and bottom boards. I guess I am going to have to wait until they get restocked.
There are other sources for the parts if you are in a rush. Why do you think the top board needs to be replaced?