Do I Need the 8BitDo USB Stick Shaped Like Bricks?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
mist-rich

Do I Need the 8BitDo USB Stick Shaped Like Bricks?

Unread post by mist-rich »

Hi all,

Setting up my 8-Bit-do bluetooth gamepad and I can get it to work but I need to pair each time Mister starts at the moment, i'm guessing this is a common problem and I will continue to keep reading and hopefully find a soultion.

I share the same gamepad with my PC and i'm having trouble getting more then 1 profile to work at the moment (as in, I now need to re-pair controller to that as the Mister took it over).

My question,

Nearly all the photos I see of other peoples Mister units have the 8bitdo USB stick plugged in - the row of bricks one. If I were to get this - would this help with instant pairing (im guessing it is more then just a Bluetooth dongle)?

Thank you,
clarkkent

Re: Do I Need the 8BitDo USB Stick Shaped Like Bricks?

Unread post by clarkkent »

Yes. Then it works.
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

The 8bitdo stick is a bluetooth adapter but it actually reports to the device it is connected to as a wired controller.
Usually if you sync a controller to a device by bluetooth the sync information is stored on the device so you have to resync every time you want to move the controller to another device.
The 8bitdo controller stores the sync information in itself so you can move the adapter to any device and the controller will still keep synced to the adapter.
So if you are using the controller on both your PC and MiSTer then you have to move the 8bitdo-adapter between the devices.
mist-rich

That makes perfect sense. And actually my Mister is next to PC so it won't be that much faff in fairness. I'll get one now. Thank you.

Also, whilst slightly on topic - for kepboard use on the Mister , are you just hooking up a USB type when required etc.?
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

mist-rich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm That makes perfect sense. And actually my Mister is next to PC so it won't be that much faff in fairness. I'll get one now. Thank you.

Also, whilst slightly on topic - for kepboard use on the Mister , are you just hooking up a USB type when required etc.?
I myself have a keyboard and mouse permanently hooked up with a wireless USB receiver, but keep the keyboard and mouse turned off when I don't use them.
mist-rich

Thank you :) One last question - would you recomend plugging the adapter into the DE-10 directly or the I/O board? or does it not really matter.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

mist-rich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:32 pm Thank you :) One last question - would you recomend plugging the adapter into the DE-10 directly or the I/O board? or does it not really matter.
There is nowhere on the DE-10 to plug in an 8bitdo adapter
mist-rich

I'll put it in the I/O then :D Thanks ,
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

mist-rich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:27 pm I'll put it in the I/O then :D Thanks
The USB socket on the IO board, is not a USB socket for standard USB devices.

See the below WiKi link for more information:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... rial-IO%29
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Do I need the 8bit do USB stick shaped like bricks?

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Like XBytez warns, don't plug it into the I/O board, that is not an USB connector but a MiSTer user port. Either plug it into an USB hub connected to the micro USB port of the DE-10, or get a MiSTer USB hub board if you don't have one yet.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

It's not clear which bluetooth 8bitdo gamepad you have, but anything in the SN30 through the Pro2 line, when you turn the controller on it has multiple modes. Like hold X+start for x-input, Y+Start for Switch, etc. Some of the other ones have a physical switch to choose. Each of these modes remembers its own separate bluetooth pairing. So if you always start with x-input then yeah, you'd have to keep changing the pairing between devices. But if you could use Switch or d-input to pair with the mister, then you just have to flip back to x-input mode to play on PC and vice versa, without having to pair anymore.
mist-rich

Thank you, I have the SN30 pro and you're right - there are 4 seperate LED lights on top and I think each is a separate profile/connection depending on which light is lit. And as you say, accessable with different button combo on controller turn-on. - I use start + Y for PC and it has worked well.
I am struggling though to get Mister to remember it and I quite like the idea of that 8bitdo USB adapter so will give it a go and see - also it seems to work on a higher/better bluetooth standard then the 'basic' Bluetooth dongle I currently have plugged in. And at the least I quite like the look of the brickwork on the adapter and its a new toy to mess with :D
mist-rich

Just to update - received the USB adapter 2 and it works great :) Set-up with PC first and confirmed response, then just plugged it into Mister and it works perfectly. Thank you
mist-rich

- one thing I have noticed that I find a bit bizarre - the ultimate 8bitdo software (which I acknowledge is not essential), does not have their own controller (or at least the one I use - SN30+) selectable from the controller options (it's mainly console ones) so not sure if remapping possible etc. which is a shame but nothing major.