Should Arcade Cores Work With CRT?

drpaneas

Should Arcade Cores Work With CRT?

Unread post by drpaneas »

I've just recently bought my MiSTer and I am really enjoying it, mostly playing SNES games so far. I am using my Sony PVM for that, connected via VGA-to-BNC cable and everything works fine. However, when I am about to play Arcade games (games inside the `_Arcade` directory) I have some problems:

1. Some do not even start (blank screen)
2. Some are vertical and I cannot play them that way (placing my PVM at 90' angle is not easy). Note: changing the setting via OSD to horizontal doesn't make any difference.
3. Some games doesn't work with my controller

I use the `update_all.sh` script. Some questions I have:

1. Are all these (1,2,3) issues supposed to be like that? I mean, is this a work-in-progress situation or the majority of the Arcade games are supposed to work just fine?
2. Why the directory name starts with an underscore (e.g. why `_Arcade` instead of just `Arcade`?)

Thank you in advance,
Panos
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Should Arcade Cores Work With CRT?

Unread post by akeley »

1. Majority of arcade games should display ok, but some are VGA (31kHz) only. You can check the compatibility here.

2.There is no way to fit vertical games into horizontal from the cores on CRTs, the rotate option is for scaler/HDMI. I think some people tried to do it via modelines, you can search forums for these threads. Mind you, even if possible, it will almost certainly produce some artifacts.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

drpaneas wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:12 am 2. Why the directory name starts with an underscore (e.g. why `_Arcade` instead of just `Arcade`?)
Directory names starting with an underscore are visible in the menu; the rest don't show up. For example, _Arcade/cores and _Arcade/mame are not visible in the menu, but _Arcade/_alternatives is.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

1. could be that the rom/*zip file hasn't loaded, isn't on your sdcard or isn't in the right place /games/mame
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back