Good PSU setup for MiSTer Arcade1up mods?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Good PSU setup for MiSTer Arcade1up mods?

Unread post by Newsdee »

I've tested the power consumption of my Arcade1Up converted cabinets, and realized the current PSU I have is insufficient.

Wonder if anybody with good knowledge of this can give some advice:
  • Is it better to use a single PSU, converting 12V to 5V where relevant
  • Or would using two PSUs + an extension chord be better
I've used a"kill-a-watt" kind of device, and it shows there is ultimately not much power draw difference between these two setups,
so it seems the 12V to 5V conversion is pretty efficient. Both seem to draw around 5.47 Amps at 12V (= 0.292A at 222V).

That said the PSU I'm using is not rated to 6A it needs; so I'll look at upgrading to 12V 6A - or maybe even a 8A to have a wide margin.

I also wonder if the inline switch I use might need to be replaced to something else.
It is connected via 5.5mms barrel plugs between the PSU and the rest of the system.

It heats quite a bit and I replaced it twice after a few months. My guess is that it's not rated to 6A.
But I keep it since it allows me to have a single switch easily accessible at the top of the cabinet.

The switch is something like this:
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Good PSU setup for MiSTer Arcade1up mods?

Unread post by Newsdee »

The "simple" alternative would be to have a 220V power supply outlet into the cab with a switch. But it makes installing and setup more complex.

Something like this:
https://www.diyretroarcade.com/products ... off-button

But what bothers me about those is I don't use 110V nor the US style plugs, and those are usually best placed near the floor ... which would make it hard to access for everyday use.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Good PSU setup for MiSTer Arcade1up mods?

Unread post by akeley »

For the switch you could get one of these and stick the remote somewhere on the cab.