My TV recently stopped accepting HDMI input from MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
ski9k

My TV recently stopped accepting HDMI input from MiSTer

Unread post by ski9k »

Hi team,

So I've recently encountered a problem and wondering if anyone in this forum may be able to provide some guidence...

I have a mister with an io board and I've been successfully outputting video via the vga port to component on an SD crt TV as well as outputting via hdmi to a ED plasma TV (480p). Anyway this setup was working perfectly for over 12 months, I could output over hdmi or vga io out either individually or simultaneously without issue. The trouble started when I was using the psx core one day and I selected that option which says "sync 480i over hdmi". The setting made the component signal a little clearer and the hdmi continued to work until I reset the mister and then the hdmi stopped working.

So for several attempts after the hdmi out would work, BUT ONLY if I unplugged and then plugged in the hdmi cable while the system was running... This worked for a few days until now it doesn't work at all. The strange thing is if I use a different monitor/tv the hdmi works fine using the mister and additionaly the plasma TV works fine when connected to other hdmi devices..... They just won't work together.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm at a loss as to why this suddenly stopped working... I've tried different cables but that hasn't seemed to work either..

Does anyone have any suggestions?
mister_fan

Re: My TV recently stopped accepting HDMI input from MiSTer

Unread post by mister_fan »

Shot in the dark but it sounds similar to issues people have had with CEC HDMI displays, there's a thread here discussing:
viewtopic.php?t=2474
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

ive got a mister that HDMI just broke on, i have to use VGA on it, its a bit annoying but after trouble shooting everything it just broke.

Quite rare apparently but not out of the question you have the same problem.
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

I use an HDMI switch with my TV, and have a lot of stuff connected to my TV, and I ran into a similar problem after I got a new TV, the old TV worked just fine with the MiSTer FPGA, but the new TV would suddenly stop accepting input on one of the HDMI ports, so I tried the second HDMI port, and it would work for some time and then just stop working, so I would switch back to the first HDMI port and it would work again and then suddenly just stop working, I got tired of this, and just got some CEC blocking adapters, and that fixed it.

At first I tried just one CEC blocking adapter, and I placed it on my MiSTer FPGA, however my new TV still mess up, so I bought another CEC blocking adapter and placed it on my TV, I am now having to use two CEC blocking adapters, and that seems to work, BTW I tested both CEC blocking adapters and they both have PIN 13 disconnected.

BTW I am using the "BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter" that is about $15 on Amazon.
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

Have ever set a specific resolution for the MiSTer via the mister.ini file? If not a recent change made the MiSTer try to get the capabilities of the display from EDID and many TV report incorrectly or the long chain of TV and receivers make it report incorrectly.

Try to set a default "video_mode" in the ini file, and also make sure your ini is updated as there has been alot of changes to mister.ini over the last year and the new settigns don´t get added to the ini automatically.
Check the default ini on github and compare to your own.
Could be that you just need to add "video_mode=0" (720p, the old default resolution of MiSTer) or "video_mode=8" (1080p) to the ini to fix your problem.
ski9k

Unread post by ski9k »

Heya team,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I received my hdmi cable extender adapter today (which I ordered from ebay), it was just a cheap one but fixed the issue just fine.

Hope this advice can help others also!