Next DSK Handling via Browser?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Next DSK Handling via Browser?

Unread post by rhester72 »

When I try to launch the DSK image of Outrun Side A from the Browser, I get:

ERROR

This program has attempted to access the +3 FDC hardware.

Press reset now, I to ignore or D to enter the debugger.

I just want the thing to boot. LOL From what I was able to tell, support for +3 FDC intercept was added sometime last year, so I'd think this should work.

When I soft reset and re-enter the Browser, it shows me the contents of the virtual A: drive, which is indeed the proper disk, so I know at least the Browser can mount it.

Also interestingly, the DSK has a size of 134,144 bytes - but a working DSK image included with Next OS (Dizzy VII) is 194,816 bytes. Linux identifies the Outrun disk as "Amstrad/Spectrum Extended", which seems to suggest a format that includes copy protection information...is it possible that the real issue is that the Next Browser/launcher can only handle unprotected disk images?

Swainy

Re: Next DSK Handling via Browser?

Unread post by Swainy »

rhester72 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm When I try to launch the DSK image of Outrun Side A from the Browser, I get:

ERROR

This program has attempted to access the +3 FDC hardware.

Press reset now, I to ignore or D to enter the debugger.

I just want the thing to boot. LOL From what I was able to tell, support for +3 FDC intercept was added sometime last year, so I'd think this _should_ work.

When I soft reset and re-enter the Browser, it shows me the contents of the virtual A: drive, which is indeed the proper disk, so I know at least the Browser can mount it.

Also interestingly, the DSK has a size of 134,144 bytes - but a working DSK image included with Next OS (Dizzy VII) is 194,816 bytes. Linux identifies the Outrun disk as "Amstrad/Spectrum Extended", which seems to suggest a format that includes copy protection information...is it possible that the real issue is that the Next Browser/launcher can only handle unprotected disk images?
I’ve got a real Next and I’m pretty sure that is the case.

If you want to load +3 DSK images, just use the Spectrum Core and switch the hardware to the +3.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Next DSK Handling via Browser?

Unread post by rhester72 »

Got it, thank you!