I-PAC Arcade Controls on Minimig

toastboy

I-PAC Arcade Controls on Minimig

Unread post by toastboy »

I'm trying to get minimig games playable on an arcade cab with i-pac controls.
The i-pac is setup to provide keypresses over USB, using the standard MAME mapping.
This works fine for arcade and console cores, but for some reason minimig refuses to accept the joystick inputs.
Mapping buttons works fine in the MiSTer UI, but the joysicks and buttons have no effect in-game.

I've checked the "swap joysticks" function, it's not that, and I've investigated remapping keys/buttons but no joy.

Is it perhaps due to the fact that the amiga has a keyboard, so the events are being captured as KB input, instead of joystick?
limi
Top Contributor

Re: I-PAC Arcade Controls on Minimig

Unread post by limi »

No, Amiga works like the other cores, and USB joysticks work fine.
SuperFrog

Unread post by SuperFrog »

Should work as any other controller on MiSTer. Once you setup Joystick (amiga had ability to use 2 buttons, but most games have only 1 button)

For some amiga games, to pass intro, you have to have mouse click (right or left click) or Escape key (depending on intro). Sometimes even Space key.

What game you are trying to run and what screen do you see?
toastboy

turrican II, and galaxy force have been my test games.
Both enter the game fine, turrican starts with any keypress and galaxy force uses mouse for the menus.
But ingame, no control at all with the i-pac driven joysticks. USB controllers do of course work fine, but that's not the point of having an arcade cab.

To reproduce the issue, try setting keys as the joystick inputs QAOP-space or something.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Amiga Games cant be controlled via keyboard mostly. They relied on the inbuilt joystick ports and so no one ever added remapping of a stick to the keyboard.
toastboy

The subject here isn't amiga games control control systems, more the minimig core not interpreting the keypresses from the i-pac joysticks and routing them as joystick events within the core itself, instead they remain keypresses.

If that re-routing happened, then the amiga game would just see joystick inputs as normal.
Sure there might be side-effects, like dead keys if you tried using a keyboard, but an arcade machine has no keyboard, so nothing to lose.
SuperFrog

Core controller works just the same as other cores, I did not see any difference between gamepads (I used quite few, including xbox controller, sega genesis, ps3 and ps4, logitech F310 just to name few) and Mayflash F300 arcade stick. They all work the same way for me.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Heh, I just mentioned this in an ST thread, but did you remember to run through the Minimig input setup? Each core has its own settings. The main Mister config sets some defaults, but I'm not sure how many carry over to the cores. I've found that most of the time, I need to redefine inputs for each core, once. After that, the config is saved and I don't have to do it again.

You get to the Minimig-specific controls by running the core. Once it's running, hit F12 and go right one page. Near the top is the joystick config routine. Once you've finished that, don't forget to save core settings, also on the same page.
toastboy

Yep I mapped the buttons to the joysticks, just as any other core.
I've tested a lot of other arcade/console cores with the sticks, they all work fine. Just minimig has this behaviour in my testing so far.
SuperFrog

Perhaps remove any configuration and then try again?
toastboy

Found the solution.
viewtopic.php?t=448

There's special support for jpan/ipac controls in mister. If you specify the jamma_vid and jamma_pid to be the USB identity of your jpac/ipac, then it's treated as a joystick, not a keyboard, and minimig joystick inputs just work.

More testing to do, couldn't get player2 to work immediately, but its already a lot better.

[edit] A simple reboot fixed P2. Time to invite some people to play gravity wars, supercars and lotus turbo!