Wrong aspect ratio on vertical shooters

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
BronNeo

Wrong aspect ratio on vertical shooters

Unread post by BronNeo »

Hi, I am trying vertical shooter like 1943 or Battle Garegga and something weird is happening: the game is displayed on the correct aspect ratio for a couple seconds and then a blank screen and stretched to a wider aspect. Horizontal games look correct. Usually a blank screen means sync but I don’t how how this could be related… My settings are 1920x1440 60hz, integer resolution scaling and match core frequency on a LG C1 screen. Any idea of what could cause this? Thanks!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Wrong aspect ratio on vertical shooters

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If you're using vscale_mode=4 or 5 you might not want to. My experience with an LG C1 is that any weird aspect ratio ends up being interpreted as 4:3. There are ways to take advantage of that even to pass along perfect integer scaling, but it gets pretty messy with the way 90 rotation is implemented in mister. You might even want to try vscale_mode=0 with the tate arcades.
BronNeo

Unread post by BronNeo »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:04 pm If you're using vscale_mode=4 or 5 you might not want to. My experience with an LG C1 is that any weird aspect ratio ends up being interpreted as 4:3. There are ways to take advantage of that even to pass along perfect integer scaling, but it gets pretty messy with the way 90 rotation is implemented in mister. You might even want to try vscale_mode=0 with the tate arcades.
That was it, thanks! I will play with vscale_mode to find what looks best
Toya

Unread post by Toya »

So for vertical games, you want to use vscale_mode=5. Wickerwaka did make a pull request to main (which has yet to be released) where you can add a [arcade_vertical]
vscale_mode=5

in your MiSTer.ini file

This will make it so that all vertical arcade games will have the proper aspect ratio.