Atari ST Core Joystick Not Working

Juri

Atari ST Core Joystick Not Working

Unread post by Juri »

Hello, i was playing a bit with the core, but i'm not able to play any games because the joystick do not do anything.
i use a DaemonBite controller that work in ALL other cores.
i feel i'm doing something wrong. the joystick is recognized inside the core, as soon as i pres any joystick buttons the joystick info appear on screen. but it looks like it don't do anything. tried swapping joystick function too without any results, tried playing with F11 key, again without any results.
May someone help me please?
JF
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Atari ST Core Joystick Not Working

Unread post by Malor »

Just as a sanity check, did you remember to redefine the buttons for the ST core? You have the main config for the Mister system, but then each core has its own joystick config. Most (all?) cores need you to run through their own assignment process one time. They save their configs, so normally you won't have to do it again unless you change joysticks.

edit: I forgot to mention, saving settings is a manual step, on the same page as the joystick settings. Hit F12, and go right one page. Both current-core joystick settings and saving all current settings (everything, not just joysticks) are entries on this page.
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

hi, yes i redefined buttons inside st core and saved settings too. no success
JF
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

ok, i'm not pratical with atari st and atari st core, i think i found the problem.
i tested a bunch of games in the 3gb vhd file: Turrican, Turrican 2, Tusker, Addams family. none of them respond to joysticks.
then i tested around ten games on floppy, none of them worked (bombs on screen) except one, and the joystick is working there.
just for curiosity i tested turrican on floppy (i was not able to skip the cracktro in turrican 2) and again joystick is not working.
that's very odd
update: i tested with an 8bitdo joypad: same identical result, it works fine in all cores except atari st.
JF
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I wonder if you have another device that is taking the first joystick port and pushing your chosen controller to the second? Try flipping the "joystick swap" option.

Should also mention I'm not sure how mouse works with respect to joystick ports. On a real Atari ST you had two DB9 ports, and one of them could be used for either mouse or joystick, but obviously not both at once. But in Mister you always have exactly one mouse so, not sure how that relates to the controller slots or the machine's DB9 ports. I think port 0 was the dual mouse/joystick port so many games would look to the port 1 for a joystick, but not all.
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

is the same behaviour of amiga games, amiga have 2 DB9 ports one for mouse/joystick and another for joystick.almost all games use the joystick port, if the game can be played with 2 players then the mouse port request a joystick connected. i do not have any issues on amiga core, however i never tested playing 2 players games on amiga, like Hot Rod.
i tested 2 joystick and the joystick swap option without any success. :(
JF