Extracting LHA Files Using WB 1.3

anderse77

Extracting LHA Files Using WB 1.3

Unread post by anderse77 »

Error while reading when copying from adf file in Workbench 1.3.

I am trying to extract some LHA files on WB 1.3.

I created a standard blank adf in WinUAE and used putty to ssh into mister. I mounted the adf with

mount -o loop -t affs media/usb0/games/amiga/Empty.adf /mnt

Using WinSCP I copied lha_e138.run from windows to mnt directory and then I unmounted.

I opened minimig and inserted workbench 1.3.4 in df0 and Empty in df1.

I opened SHELL and typed dir df1:

Ok. it listed lha_e138.run.

Line COPY df1:lha_e138.run RAM:

gives error while reading.

Running the .run file gives software failure.

When trying to COPY contents from discs in TOSEC to RAM, it works perfectly.

My conclusion is that .run file got corrupt when transfering using WinSCP from ntfss file system to affs file system. Any ideas on how to transfer files safely? What went wrong? I have tried transfering other files, and all gets corrupted.
limi
Top Contributor

Re: Extracting LHA Files Using WB 1.3

Unread post by limi »

Another option would be to make use of the 1.3 compatible mount of the MiSTer: volume (games/Amiga/shared). Not sure if the 1.3 version is now included with the MiSTer Minimig setup, but there was at least someone on this board that made a version that worked on 1.3.

The other thing to try would be to unpack the files locally before putting them on an ADF. Apps like The Unarchiver can unpack LhA files on Mac — if you’re on Windows, I’m sure there’s something equivalent.
segamemister

Unread post by segamemister »

1. Never unack file locally on another os then amiga as you lose file information such as protection bits.

2 The user says he uses winscp has he configured it correctly as the mister wiki states.

When using FTP, make sure your file transfers are in Binary not ASCII. ASCII-type transfers will result in corruption of that data. A good FTP client for Windows that defaults to Binary and supports FTP as well as SFTP and SCP (ssh copy) is WinSCP.

If he using ssh to tranfer then check your ssh setting in winscp

If that dosnt work then then the thread relating wb 1.3 shared folder is below.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2033&sid=90e0793404 ... 979cbb30e5
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

edit: fixed my misremembered path from 'transfer' to 'shared'. I use transfer in WinUAE, and mixed them up.

It sounds like the affs driver for Linux may not be fully compatible; it sounds like the run file didn't get copied in correctly.

You'd have an easier time using the Mister's transfer facility. It's a driver that runs on the Amiga side, and reads and writes from a 'shared' directory in the games/Amiga folder. (so /media/fat/games/Amiga/shared by default.) The readme.md file has details on how to install it.

Unfortunately, the files don't come on an ADF, they come in a lha, which is... suboptimal. They really should copy them to the WheelDriverAkiko image. You've got the chicken-and-egg problem of needing the Mister share working to copy the files to get the Mister share working.

If you can't work out how to do that, I can extract the files to a disk image and send you a link. Once you've got the transfer system running, installing everything else becomes easy.

The devs really oughta look into doing it like WinUAE does... it actually adds in an autoconfig ROM with the driver, so that the system can access the fileshare even before the OS actually boots. As soon as the ROMs initialize, WinUAE's transfer system is running, no userspace drivers or monkeying around required. It's brilliantly done.

Anyway, quote me or send me a PM if you need a disk image with the extracted transfer software.
Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

The default path for the “transfer” directory is games/Amiga/shared.

But the simplest option is probably copying the files to an ADF image using an emulator.
anderse77

Unread post by anderse77 »

Thank you for input. I used winuae to transfer the lha file to a disk and used that. Turned put wb 1.3 does not seem to support affs. However upon extracting lha using lha for wb 1.3 it turned out devs: was full. I need to install workbench on a hard disk.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If you can get the shared directory running, it's fine for extracting lha to. You can just run the binary from there until you get your main hard drive image going.