CGC Game 10: Boulder Dash (Atari 800XL) [Computer]

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Game 10: Boulder Dash (Atari 800XL) [Computer]

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

boulderdash.jpeg
boulderdash.jpeg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
Gameplay video

MiSTer core info

Play however you'd like! The point is to enjoy and have fun, but if you would like to compete on high scores, please let us all know how you played (as in, with a arcade control panel, gamepad, etc.). We're on the honor system here for reporting high scores, so if you used cheats, fess up!

Please share with us your thoughts, jokes, frustrations or anything else related to this game that you may discover (i.e. if you discover the game itself was featured or visible in some other form of entertainment like a movie or TV show).
charmless

Re: CGC Game 10: Boulder Dash (Atari 800XL) [Computer]

Unread post by charmless »

So I really thought about playing Bould Dash, a lot. But I have played that game so many times before. I was just about to start the game when I discovered that there is a version of Alley Cat on the Atari 800. I had to pinch myself. This is a game I have not played since, well on a PC at my mom's job, with CGA graphics. So a long time ago. I ended up playing that game for two hours straight and it was awesome! Then I started Boulder Dash, and it's a good port, but it's Boulder Dash. I like Boulder Dash.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

Yeah, I concur on the lack of excitement over this one. I felt that I had to honor the RNG and stick with it. It probably doesn't do the Atari 800XL core justice as I'm sure not a lot of people would vote this port as their favorite game on the platform.

Maybe we could incorporate weighting some of the nominations that get more attention - i.e. multiple entries on the list in the spreadsheet so that those games have a better chance of getting selected. The Bruce Lee game had I think three separate people mention it.
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm Yeah, I concur on the lack of excitement over this one. I felt that I had to honor the RNG and stick with it. It probably doesn't do the Atari 800XL core justice as I'm sure not a lot of people would vote this port as their favorite game on the platform.

Maybe we could incorporate weighting some of the nominations that get more attention - i.e. multiple entries on the list in the spreadsheet so that those games have a better chance of getting selected. The Bruce Lee game had I think three separate people mention it.
That could work. Or do a random pick from the three games that have been nominated and seconded the most.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:57 am
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm Yeah, I concur on the lack of excitement over this one. I felt that I had to honor the RNG and stick with it. It probably doesn't do the Atari 800XL core justice as I'm sure not a lot of people would vote this port as their favorite game on the platform.

That could work. Or do a random pick from the three games that have been nominated and seconded the most.
That could work as well. I think I like that. Whatever we go with, I just want to avoid a tie and having to take extra time to wait for a vote to break the tie.

I'll bring this up in the feedback thread.