What Games Save?

MrMister1985

What Games Save?

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Hi all, is their a list of what games will save in MiSTer on the SMS core?

The only game ive ever managed to load from a save state is Phantasy Star. I have not played all the games on SMS but is their known games such as Phantasy Star that will work?

Also was wondering why i have other games listed in the SMS saves folder such as OutRun & Wonderboy in Monster Land, if they dont do anything?

Cheers :)
charmless

Re: What Games Save?

Unread post by charmless »

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

https://www.smspower.org/Tags/MemoryBackup

This is a good list of SMS and Game Gear games that used backups.
birdybro~
MrMister1985

Great thanks guys, I thought it was for that reason only Phantasy Star would save for me. So untill we get a full save option on the SMS core thats the limit for now i presume?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Saving works on the SMS core and the saves format should match what the SMS Everdrive does (I think).

Savestates are different (savestates as a term refers to a trick to save the current state of the RAM and CPU to a file in a way original hardware could not do), the SMS core does not have savestates support currently, and when it will it won't work with any other emulators' savestate files.

Some games like outrun and wonderboy will trigger the autosave erroneously. The signal is captured by the core and it will create a save file, regardless if it's used by the game or not. There are some games that utilize the backup ram (save) address space I think.
birdybro~
MrMister1985

aberu wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 am Saving works on the SMS core and the saves format should match what the SMS Everdrive does (I think).

Savestates are different (savestates as a term refers to a trick to save the current state of the RAM and CPU to a file in a way original hardware could not do), the SMS core does not have savestates support currently, and when it will it won't work with any other emulators' savestate files.

Some games like outrun and wonderboy will trigger the autosave erroneously. The signal is captured by the core and it will create a save file, regardless if it's used by the game or not. There are some games that utilize the backup ram (save) address space I think.
Ahh, thanks Aberu for the info, yea that explains it! Hopefully one day we will get the savestate support on the SMS core & also other cores as well that need it! :)