Easy way to (auto)center image using VGA output on a real CRT?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
emuola

Easy way to (auto)center image using VGA output on a real CRT?

Unread post by emuola »

Just noticed that the horizontal centering is quite different between cores. On a Sony BVM some cores are almost 1/3 of the screen to the right while some cores are beautifully centered with the same BVM settings.

I haven't seen any autocenter option anywhere, but that does not mean it would not exist :?
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Easy way to (auto)center image using VGA output on a real CRT?

Unread post by akeley »

Most console/computer cores should be centered properly. One exception is Amiga (though not as much as 1/3rd, and it's the same on real HW) and perhaps few of the more obscure/WIP cores.

Arcade cores (baring NeoGeo) are another kettle of fish, partially because of the different resolutions. But a lot of them have centering controls in the OSD.

If you are seeing some wild discrepacies then it might have something to do with the BVM itself. I seem to recall somebody else mentioning that. These monitors (or at least some models) sometimes act funny with MiSTer.
emuola

Unread post by emuola »

Thanks, actually all the computer Cores seem to autocenter very nicely, but some of the horizontal arcade cores are "way off". This happens both using RGB and separate sync and the same signal converted to Ssnc-on-green and configured properly on the BVM. Weird. I did not realize there would be centering options in the core's OSD, I'll look in to that tonight.
emuola

Unread post by emuola »

The offset options in the OSD seem to work very nivcely, somehow I had not noticed those. Sorry :oops:
Fed

Unread post by Fed »

emuola wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:49 am

The offset options in the OSD seem to work very nivcely, somehow I had not noticed those. Sorry :oops:

I wish centering options would be available in all Cores, it's a great feature !