Replacement Displays for CRT Regarding MiSTercade and DIY Cabinet

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Kimberley

Replacement Displays for CRT Regarding MiSTercade and DIY Cabinet

Unread post by Kimberley »

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with ‘dedicated’ replacement displays for a CRT in a arcade cabinet? I came across 2 displays that have actual mounting frames for this purpose: the Unico displays (17” version that is used for the MVSX cabinet, but they also have a 19” and soon 26” versions) and the Arkoon display. Retrorgb has a video review of the MVSX cabinet and although Bob doesn’t actually test it using his Time Sleuth, he mentions it seems to have a consistent ‘lower’ lag using a very basic test. In a recent video he also mentions the Arkoon display (20”, which has a 4:3 ratio), but he doesn’t have one to test it in any way. I really like the look of those displays. But not knowing the actual lag I’m hesitant to buy either of them.

I’m building an arcade cabinet completely from scratch based on a Mistercade. I’ve seen solutions using low lag modern monitors that are also sometimes rotated 90° inside the cabinet to accomodate the vertical orientated games/cores. But they always seem to be mounted in a weird way because people do not remove the housing and just place them inside the cab ‘unmodified’. I want to try to avoid that actually, because design wise that complicates the inside of the cabinet design quite a bit compared to having a display with an actual mounting frame.

It seems that the Unico displays are branded and actually manufactured by a different company? Because I see that display for sale on Amazon, but it’s not Unico branded.
Also, are there more of these type of displays available by other brands? It seems they are a bit of a rare breed.

Thanks for any info

orange428

Re: Replacement Displays for CRT Regarding MiSTercade and DIY Cabinet

Unread post by orange428 »

hi, he's (Bob at retrorgb) done an update video specifically on the Arcooda monitor.

https://www.retrorgb.com/arcooda-20-240 ... eview.html

It has 2ms of lag.

Although according to Arcooda (in the youtube comments) the panel is end of life so there's probably not too many more of these (if you're looking to purchase).

On the flip side, they also said they are working on a 29" 4:3 replacement...hopefully sometime in 2023.
Kimberley

Re: Replacement Displays for CRT Regarding MiSTercade and DIY Cabinet

Unread post by Kimberley »

Hi, sorry for the late reply but thank you.
I did already see the video about it and it made me order one.
I still haven't received the display yet though, a lot is going wrong with the delivery by Fedex and initially even the order itself.
But basically, I 'have' one haha.