Vector CRT

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Farmboy

Vector CRT

Unread post by Farmboy »

Has anyone taken a look at driving a real vector display? I actually have a couple. They're also pretty easy to make from a TV. The black and white in particular is so sharp and bright it's unreal because there's no shadow mask. Basically infinite resolution other than the DACs. I can't stand games like Asteroids on anything but a real vector.

There are a couple projects that are hodgepodges of USB and Raspberry Pi hacked MAME, but they're not "real" hardware. Might be interesting to make a daughter card for MisterFpga that drives vector displays.
Swainy

Re: Vector CRT

Unread post by Swainy »

I haven’t got a vector monitor (well, I own a Vectrex) but I’d love to know if this is possible too.

I’d also love to see a guide on how to turn a normal CRT in to a vector display would be great.
Farmboy

Unread post by Farmboy »

It seems like it could be done albeit non optimally with existing hardware. The IO analog daughter board already has several R-2R DACs but they're only 6bit. Most real vectors use 10bits for X and Y. So you'd get a proof of concept pretty quick with some core hacking... And a chunky looking output on the display.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Swainy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:15 pm I’d also love to see a guide on how to turn a normal CRT in to a vector display would be great.
See this post on UKVAC for more information.

The XY Kit Official Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/280646265896719/