Main Menu OSD Constantly Scrolling Down When VGA Connected

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
green_onion

Main Menu OSD Constantly Scrolling Down When VGA Connected

Unread post by green_onion »

I've been using my MiSTer over VGA (RGB) for the past year without incident, but following an update_all this morning it has been behaving as though the keyboard is operating with the down directional key being held down.

Some key points:

• I have what I presume are standard IO and USB Hubs.
  • It's not the keyboard. The issue persists even when the keyboard is unplugged.
  • I unplugged all other USB devices from the USB to isolate the issue, and it persists.
  • The scrolling behavior stops once I unplug the VGA->RGB cable from the IO board.
  • When the VGA is connected, the behavior stops as soon as I launch a core. It allows me to use the core's OSD normally. The issue only seems to happen when I am in the main menu OSD. It begins again after I reboot the MiSTer from a core.

I thought I'd ask here in case this issue sounds familiar to anyone else and there might be an easy solution I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: Main Menu OSD Constantly Scrolling Down When VGA Connected

Unread post by lamarax »

🤔 ...maybe try:

Code: Select all

menu_pal=1   ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
I've had what you describe happening in the past with an RGB PAL only 15 kHz CRT, using a VGA to SCART cable.
green_onion

lamarax wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:22 pm 🤔 ...maybe try:

Code: Select all

menu_pal=1   ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
I've had what you describe happening in the past with an RGB PAL only 15 kHz CRT, using a VGA to SCART cable.
I'm using an NTSC PVM+LCD setup, but I decided to try setting menu_pal=1 just to see if it resolved the issue, but it still persists. Thanks nonetheless, any suggestions from people who have encountered this issue in the past are welcome.
green_onion

Well, I think I may have resolved this.

After another search I was able to find an issue on the Menu_MiSTer github from about a year ago - https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Menu_MiSTer/issues/22 - where the OP realized that their updater accidentally got set to download the DB9 fork of the menu. I checked my updater options and sure enough it had somehow been set to that since the last update. Re-updated and the behavior is gone.

I could have saved myself a couple hours of poking around this morning had I discovered that github issue earlier, but at least this thread can stand in case anyone else unwittingly sets their downloader to grab the DB9 fork.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Thanks for posting the solution; you are the anti-DenverCoder9.

Relevant XKCD.
hyp36rmax

Unread post by hyp36rmax »

green_onion wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:06 pm

Well, I think I may have resolved this.

After another search I was able to find an issue on the Menu_MiSTer github from about a year ago - https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Menu_MiSTer/issues/22 - where the OP realized that their updater accidentally got set to download the DB9 fork of the menu. I checked my updater options and sure enough it had somehow been set to that since the last update. Re-updated and the behavior is gone.

I could have saved myself a couple hours of poking around this morning had I discovered that github issue earlier, but at least this thread can stand in case anyone else unwittingly sets their downloader to grab the DB9 fork.

Thank you! Much appreciated. This was my issue and solution. 8-)