Possible to Hide Cores from List?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
JAJT

Possible to Hide Cores from List?

Unread post by JAJT »

Is it possible to hide cores from the main Mister lists?

I don't really care to delete them (because they'll just come back when I update) and I don't mind if they get updated in the background along with everything else - I'd just like to hide them from sight.

For example, the only computer core I have any roms for is the AO486, so I don't really need to see the few dozen other options in there. I like going to the "consoles" core list but I only have roms for maybe half of them, so hiding the other half would be nice.

I know there's a favorite script but I'm not super keen on creating new lists if I can just hide items from the lists that are already there.

Is this possible?
PistolsAtDawn

Re: Possible to Hide Cores from List?

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

It's possible to stop the unwanted cores from updating through the downloader.ini filter settings. You can list which cores to keep updated or cores to skip. To the best of my knowledge it will keep them uninstalled, not hidden.
edr

Unread post by edr »

Scripts I use to rename/hide/reorg cores and related ideas from others. You can adapt these ideas for your own requirements -
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4001
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:05 pm It's possible to stop the unwanted cores from updating through the update.ini filter settings. You can list which cores to keep updated or cores to skip. To the best of my knowledge it will keep them uninstalled, not hidden.
I've tried and failed to do that with the old filters, do you know how exactly it is done?
PistolsAtDawn

akeley wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:41 am
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:05 pm It's possible to stop the unwanted cores from updating through the update.ini filter settings. You can list which cores to keep updated or cores to skip. To the best of my knowledge it will keep them uninstalled, not hidden.
I've tried and failed to do that with the old filters, do you know how exactly it is done?
I'm not sure if I could do a better job explaining it than the wiki here: link

Let me know if there's something specific you can't get working and I can take a look.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:02 pm I'm not sure if I could do a better job explaining it than the wiki here: link

Let me know if there's something specific you can't get working and I can take a look.
Thanks. I've tried to do it as per this Wiki before, but after that update_all was failing, more details here: viewtopic.php?p=55001#p55001
PistolsAtDawn

akeley wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:55 am
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:02 pm I'm not sure if I could do a better job explaining it than the wiki here: link

Thanks. I've tried to do it as per this Wiki before, but after that update_all was failing, more details here: viewtopic.php?p=55001#p55001
Odd. I don't see what would cause that to fail. Unless perhaps there are unseen characters in the text. Did you use Windows to edit the ini file? The Notepad program doesn't format the end of line character properly for Linux. I would try the excellent Notepad++ program which lets you select options that will make it compatible.

If it's not that, then I'm honestly at a loss. It could have been the update_all / downloader version at the time perhaps. Now that the new version of those are out, maybe those filters would work now.
Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

so i'm digging up this thread to addup to the question,

i have already blacklisted in the downloader.ini a lot of computer and obscure console cores, but what about the arcade cores/individual games?

one example, up in the list is 280z-zap , which is apparently based on the space-invader core,

can i remove 280z-zap from the downloader whilst keeping space invader?