MiSTer Remote

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
mike2411

MiSTer Remote

Unread post by mike2411 »

Hey I'm sure this is well known, but figured I'd share this in the event it isn't. Got bored and tried a remote that I used for my nvidia shield on the mister and it worked! I found a use case for it as well.

While yes the USB gamepad can control the UI to start the cores, but what if you only have your SNAC controller plugged in? A remote is great to start the cores. Yes you could use one of those small RF ANEWISH keyboards, but that isn't super friendly for the non-technical people in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NNWRG3B/
lomdar67

Re: MiSTer Remote

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Are you able to get to the menu (F12) with the remote when you are running a core?
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Great idea! A common scenario is I am sitting on the bed with my NES or Atari controller with few buttons and I always have to get up to access the full sized keyboard. It could be used for savestates too!

I just looked at it and I am not sure the buttons can be reprogrammed on it. I would want a remote where I can program the buttons to whatever key combinations I want.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Is F12 working?
mike2411

Unread post by mike2411 »

Yes, while I haven't been able to configure it as a controller, the basics work. The home button is F12(menu), the directional pad works and the center button is execute. That is about as much as I have been able to get to work. This at least lets me navigate the cores, launch roms and menu of course lets me get out of the game. Outside of having a handy space bar to skip input mapping, it can just about replace my ANEWISH.

Note, I did run into an issue where I couldn't get the execute button working for a bit. It might be because I plugged in the USB receiver post boot. When plugging it in prior to boot, I haven't been able to reproduce it.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

mike2411 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:34 pm Yes, while I haven't been able to configure it as a controller, the basics work. The home button is F12(menu), the directional pad works and the center button is execute. That is about as much as I have been able to get to work. This at least lets me navigate the cores, launch roms and menu of course lets me get out of the game. Outside of having a handy space bar to skip input mapping, it can just about replace my ANEWISH.

Note, I did run into an issue where I couldn't get the execute button working for a bit. It might be because I plugged in the USB receiver post boot. When plugging it in prior to boot, I haven't been able to reproduce it.
Thanks!
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I wonder if a PS3 bluetooth remote would work if you mapped it as a controller. I bet it would. I have one, but I use it with my PS3. I could get a second one for the MiSTer. Is there a way to define additional button mappings in the MiSTer beyond what it asks you? I would like to have it map buttons for savestates for example.

I just ordered one from ebay. I am confident I can map all the stuff it asks you when mapping new controllers. I just hope I can get it to do things like savestates in NES games for example. Maybe it already asks you, but I don't remember. I think it does when mapping in the core itself.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

mike2411 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:34 pm Yes, while I haven't been able to configure it as a controller, the basics work.
Seems to depend on the remote set you are using. I have a few remotes with dongles lying around and while basic navigation works fine with all of them, none gives me the menu ( F12) function.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan