Setting Up VRR

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
CMR

Setting Up VRR

Unread post by CMR »

I'm trying to get vrr setup on my mister. The monitor I'm using is a Dell s2522hg. It's native output is 1080p and a refresh rate of 240Hz. My question is do I need to set the vrr min/max settings or can I just leave them not set? Any other suggestions or recommendations for setting up VRR is also welcome.
Marcellus

Re: Setting Up VRR

Unread post by Marcellus »

I am interested too. Few weeks ago I tried, setting up VRR with my Gigabyte 144hz 4K monitor.
No success :|
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

It's supposed to work automatically based on the monitor's EDID, unless you've changed the settings. Have you tried running different cores to see what the monitor and Mister say the output resolution and refresh rates are? Donkey Kong 3 is a good test, for instance, because it's a little faster than 60Hz. (like 60.1 or 60.3 or something; my monitor flickers several times before settling.)

I don't have anything in my ini about refresh rate here, have vsync_adjust=2 set, and everything seems to work correctly. Weird refresh rates work correctly all the time, and the PS1 core doesn't flicker when it changes resolution. However, I'm not very sensitive to screen tearing, so if VRR isn't working, I might not realize it.
mister_fan

Unread post by mister_fan »

Random thoughts on this from my own learning:

IMO just experiment and see what looks best to you. Make sure to turn on Adaptive Sync (or VRR or whatever its called) in your monitor's internal settings or it won't work haha.

Try all the other VRR modes like FreeSync. vsync_adjust results can really vary depending on display, you should experiment with different values.

Like Malor said it should be auto detected, but VRR is kind of imperfect yet, and monitors can yield very different results or need very different things.
It can't really hurt to put the min and max VRR into your config, it looks like your monitor does 48 hz to 240 hz. Manually specify these things and they can't get screwed up.

You own MiSTer so you are probably sensitive to latency to some degree. Keep in mind VRR can add lag- it is frequently worth it, and can be really low lag overall, but just see how the latency feels when you make change to VRR. like vsync_adjust it can be a tradeoff between smooth, crystalline motion and latency.

Here you can see a simulation of VRR vs standard Vertical sync here https://www.testufo.com/vrr Maybe try the other tests on your display too

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... ics/video/

From a reddit post: Does it feel laggy playing 60 fps games on 240 hz?

It'll feel less laggy than it does on a 60Hz monitor because the image will scan out four times as quickly top to bottom. On a 60Hz monitor, the bottom part of the image is drawn nearly 16ms after the top part. On a 240Hz monitor that difference is only about 4ms. Even though a game might be producing frames at a rate much slower than 240 FPS, the 240Hz display will still get that information to your eyes more quickly.
mister_fan

Unread post by mister_fan »

Also, 150ish USD for 1080p 240hz IPS? that's a great deal.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

I have a Samsung QLED and it works perfectly.

you activate VRR on your TV for that source HDMI and set it to automatic in the INI file.