HDMI Extension Cable

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Nickie

HDMI Extension Cable

Unread post by Nickie »

hi people !

i've encountered a problem, trying to add a little male/female HDMI extension to route a neat output on my enclosure,

HOWEVER i got one, and the DE10 obviously doesn't like it, i get no HDMI signal, no VGA out of my converter, nothing

the cable itself DOES work on my switch though so i suppose it's not just a faulty cable, but it probably has some pinout shenanigans going on....

is there something specific to look for in order to have an actual pin-to-pin extension somehow? :?: did anyone here had success with such cable?

jlancaster86

Re: HDMI Extension Cable

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

I'd use a coupler to join two male HDMI connectors together; those are easy to find.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Each time you jump it you run the risk of losing signal integrity, and when digital signals lose integrity they can fail hard. A well-made coupler might be better as suggested. If your enclosure would support a panel mount option, I would look for those on digikey. Here's a decent search query:

https://www.digikey.com/short/q2jn95hr

If you aren't in the states you can look up these part numbers on mouser.
birdybro~
Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

i see, why not i guess , i'll try to find a good one

hopefully the tiny male/male required cable between the de10 and the coupler doesn't have it's own quirks , as the coupler strategy adds 2 more connectors to the system which i was kinds trying to avoid :D

but looking at cable pinouts i can't really find a cause for the problem though, HDMI cable don't seem to have some inverted pins on one end like crossover ethernet or USB-c and the likes that could cause such absence of signal :|
jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

I never had any problems with the short Chinese-brand (ivanky) HDMI extension cable I use. I bought it in Japan though and don't see it on the US Amazon, but the same brand also has couplers.