Left Horizontal Offset on Sony PVM 14M4U

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
galopin

Left Horizontal Offset on Sony PVM 14M4U

Unread post by galopin »

Hello misters and misses,

I recently took the leap of faith and purchased a Sony PVM, model 14M4U and I am looking at optimizing video settings for it. Monitor is hooked though a HDMI to vga to RGBS BNC ( 5outputs actually, rgb, sync is grey, what is black ). How do you get audio from the Mister in that scenario ? This is until I get the analog IO board, so not a big deal regardless.

The main issue I observe is a horizontal offset to the left. See pics below:

I guess it could be fixed with the service menu horizontal offset, but I would rather find a mister setting centric solution.

Bonus questions:
Do i have to configure video settings per core, or cores should inherit what the mister main config tell them to do
How can I use the same mister to move around between the pvm and hdmi without swapping configs on the sdcard by hand all the time ?

Thank you.

Attachments
20221108_192149.jpg
20221108_192149.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 346 times
20221108_192936.jpg
20221108_192936.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 346 times
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Left Horizontal Offset on Sony PVM 14M4U

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Every HDMI->VGA converter should include a jack for splitting out the audio. Until you get an I/O board that's going to be your only option.

Only a handful of cores let you adjust the horizontal position on analog. This is normally something you have to adjust on the CRT itself.

Analog output bypasses most Mister video settings, which are more for the scaler on HDMI. You will get an RGB signal that typically matches the timing (and therefore position/size) of original hardware. Most of Mister's video options are for the scaler side, which is aimed at upscaling for modern displays, however you can use the scaler for the lower resolutions of CRTs if you want the extra control, but it takes a lot of tweaking to make each core look good, I would only use that for particularly troublesome cores.