SNES Switch Controller vs 8bitdo 2.4

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Magnitudeten

SNES Switch Controller vs 8bitdo 2.4

Unread post by Magnitudeten »

So I have an 8bitdo snes 2.4 controller for the snes classic running through a raphnet adapter. And I love it, it's a great solution.

However I've been looking at the snes switch controller because I'd like to play PS1 with the same feel, but with the extra two buttons for the extra set of shoulder buttons.

Does anybody have any experience using it with mister, I'm assuming it works correctly with a bluetooth usb, how is the latency (this is my main concern), and can you use it wired if need be?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: SNES Switch Controller vs 8bitdo 2.4

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Check out this site for objective latency measurements on Mister using 1ms polling

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

All of Nintendo's controllers are not great at 1 frame (16ms), however that's not that different from 8bitdo's bluetooth options.

I think the bigger issue is that the ZL/ZR are not that usable on the Nintendo option. It works in a pinch but it sucks to press regularly. You should probably look into the 8bitdo pro 2 for playstation, you will get a similar (but not quite as excellent) d-pad, and you get full playstation functionality with analog sticks and l3/r3, not to mention an overall feel and layout that is similar to playstation but without that split d-pad.
Magnitudeten

Unread post by Magnitudeten »

Yeah, I didn't even consider the extra button placement, they remind me of that old Wii classic controller that looked like a bar of soap. Those felt like absolute crap.

I just was so attracted to the snes aesthetic applied to a catch all controller to use in most cores that I was hoping that it'd be magically good.

In that case I'll probably just end up using a PS1 raphnet adapter, I have lots of PS1 accessories that need love anyways. Or the snes raphnet adapter and use that data pad snes controller!
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

I have the Raphnet PS1 adapter and it works great. But if you're willing to go wired there are other 8bitdo options out there that will get you the same feel but with more buttons.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)