New Folders Created During Update Odd?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
JudgeDrokk

New Folders Created During Update Odd?

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Just done my first update in over a month and the first with the new downloader, and after a heads-up from a friend it seems there's a couple of odd things... it's happened to both of us.

For some reason new entries in the cores list have been created for Game Boy Color, Game Gear, Atari 2600, and MegaDuck(!), and none have dates. Atari 2600 was merged with the 7800 core of course and have previously been removed. Palettes folder have been created inside most of these.
Is there a reason for these new folders, they were created during the update but do not have dates beside them on the MiSTer's menu. (photo) Tnx

Attachments
IMG_20221116_130622_resized_20221116_012843049.jpg
IMG_20221116_130622_resized_20221116_012843049.jpg (567.09 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
jca
Top Contributor

Re: New Folders Created During Update Odd?

Unread post by jca »

These are not folders, they are mgl files which I think are used to start games directly instead of starting them from the core. As I am not interested in this stuff I don't really know much about it.
I hope there is a way to prevent the download of these files, for me they are a nuisance.
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

jca wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm

These are not folders, they are mgl files which I think are used to start games directly instead of starting them from the core. As I am not interested in this stuff I don't really know much about it.
I hope there is a way to prevent the download of these files, for me they are a nuisance.

Hi, thanks, Theres a tweet about this..

Also from Discord (TRON 303)

"Because these new mgl-file has no "date". If you do not want them use !mgl in the downloader ini"

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Fragmentation of MISTer information, now it looks like announcements are no longer made on the MISTer forum but on Twitter, Discrord and soon on Only Fans. Sad.
Now we are being force fed non essential features.
Such features:
1. Should be announced on the forum.
2. Should be made optional and by default set to disabled.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

These mgl links allow you to create separate settings for, for instance Game Gear and Master System. For me, this is a welcome option (I had already created an mgl link for this), as their displays are very different.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@LamerDeluxe Thanks for the info. I must have been confused with something else where you could start a game without starting the core first, something like a mra but for consoles.
Is there any information on this mgl file or is it just a virtual core and thus allows specific settings in MISTer.ini and nothing more?
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Yeah I agree that this stuff is great, but is mainly for the power user so it should be set to off by default
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

A welcome addition specifically because my settings for the Sega Master System video processing is different from those for the Game Gear, and this makes it so I don't have to keep swapping settings back and forth on the core.
Hectic

Unread post by Hectic »

Is there a not download mgl files option?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

jca wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:10 pm @LamerDeluxe Thanks for the info. I must have been confused with something else where you could start a game without starting the core first, something like a mra but for consoles.
Is there any information on this mgl file or is it just a virtual core and thus allows specific settings in MISTer.ini and nothing more?
That is indeed its primary use. But it turned out you could also use it to indeed create a virtual core, that stores its data separately from the core that it references. And the Game Gear now has its own games folder, same thing for the 2600 and 7800 etc.

I see names.txt is already showing suitable core names. So now we have separate entries for the 2600/7800/Megaduck, Game Boy and Game Boy Color, Game Gear and Master System, WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color, even though they actually share the same cores. Separating the SG-1000 from either the Colecovision or Master System is currently being debated.

Even my TTY2OLED detects the virtual cores and shows the correct logo (for most of them at the moment), that is awesome.
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

I just got the same after my latest update.

How do I fix this and make these date-less entries disappear?

Thanks!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jca wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:10 pm @LamerDeluxe Thanks for the info. I must have been confused with something else where you could start a game without starting the core first, something like a mra but for consoles.
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... anced/mgl/
birdybro~
Matsu

Unread post by Matsu »

The Wonderswan Color core shortcut seems to have problems. It doesn't load any roms.
Anyone else experience this?

The regular rbf core loads roms just fine. Maybe it's due to not loading the boot roms correctly?

Edit:

Fixed it by copying boot.rom and boot1.rom to the wonderswancolor folder, and rebooting properly before trying to run a game again.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I think the mgl files themselves are a good idea, they're not really any different than MRAs, and the date code isn't especially relevant for them.

However, this comment:

Fragmentation of MISTer information, now it looks like announcements are no longer made on the MISTer forum

rings true. The forum thread should be the central location for announcements. Twitter/Discord/whatever too are fine, but a lot of us don't use them. Everything there should be here, too.