Question About Dual Output

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
netbeui

Question About Dual Output

Unread post by netbeui »

Kind of a weird question but if you have the IO board and only use the vga port is it “better” for the MiSTer to not have anything connected to the hdmi port? Are both ports always “active” or “working” regardless if something is connected to them or not?
Stinky

Re: Question About Dual Output

Unread post by Stinky »

I have both connected all the time, no issue other than some cores can't natively drive a TV.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Don't know about the port itself but I would bet the scalar is working regardless of anything being plugged in or not. You can still look at the scaled resolution numbers and toggle various options related to it that aren't available when using direct video.
toastboy

Unread post by toastboy »

Hi netbeui - yep dual output is completely normal, my mister has been plugged in that way for around 18 months with no issue at all.

Obviously CRT is best for playing high-speed games, but there are plenty of cores where that's not possible, or it involves a lot of hacking to get a less-than-good result. AO486, Amiga-with-RTG, Mac plus, Atari ST with Viking graphics card, and plenty more besides.
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Thanks for all your responses. I’m using MiSTer on a PVM or CRT TV 99% or the time but I have the HDMI port connected to a LCD monitor. I was wondering if it would make the MiSTer’s life easier if I unplug the HDMI since I barely ever use it but if it’s working just as hard whether or not it’s connected I’ll leave it connected. Hope that makes sense. Just trying to make life easier for my little MiSTer :)
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

netbeui wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:50 pm Thanks for all your responses. I’m using MiSTer on a PVM or CRT TV 99% or the time but I have the HDMI port connected to a LCD monitor. I was wondering if it would make the MiSTer’s life easier if I unplug the HDMI since I barely ever use it but if it’s working just as hard whether or not it’s connected I’ll leave it connected. Hope that makes sense. Just trying to make life easier for my little MiSTer :)
It really doesn't make any difference, do not worry!