CRT Advice

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
IandMR

CRT Advice

Unread post by IandMR »

I have been thoroughly enjoying my mister on an old 5:4 monitor and playing cores outputting almost exclusively 60hz signals although I have also loved playing ZX spectrum, C64 and Amiga games at 50hz too. I have learnt a bit about setting video modes in the ini file and had success changing resolutions and tinkering in other ways as well.

I do long for a CRT experience though to really take me back to my youth!

I have a pretty straightforward question (I think).

CRT TVs sold and for sale now in the U.K. are Pal 50hz although many models, especially Sony, list NTSC in their specification.

As I want to mostly output 60hz signals to a CRT over RGB Scart from the mister via the user port am I correct in thinking that if I make sure I get a CRT TV that lists NTSC in its specification (even though it is a Pal 50hz model) it will display a 60hz output over RGB Scart?

In the early 90s I remember owning an imported Japanese PlayStation and playing it without issue on my CRT TV which I guess must have had NTSC in its specification. I assume the TV must have simply switched the number of scan lines and refresh rate to match whether it received a signal from Pal console or an NTSC console.

As a slight aside I would be really interested in any advice a U.K. member could offer regarding getting started with a mister and a U.K. sourced CRT TV. I have a VGA to RGB Scart cable on the way from ultimatemister and a possible option on a CRT TV a friend has although it may not end up being suitable!
AngelicLiver

Re: CRT Advice

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Most UK-sold CRTs from the late 90s and early 00s have no issue with 60Hz, generally if they have RGB SCART input from this era you're good to go. I've bought a lot of CRTs over the years and I always ask to test it first; if anything to ensure the geometry is acceptable and, yanno, check it actually works in the first place!
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Thanks. My thoughts were that any popular brand Scart enabled set would be OK. My memory on these things is sketchy. It’s been a long time since I’ve even been near a CRT TV!
AngelicLiver

Avoid eBay, local freecycle and Facebook groups are usually the best places to look. I found half a dozen "faulty" Sony PVM-9041QMs on a Facebook listing a few years ago, all they needed was a bit of TLC and they were working again (recap, geometry adjusted)!
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Thanks for the great advice. I certainly will test if I am interested in a purchase. Freecycle is a great tip.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

If you can get NTSC TVs get ones with Component video inputs it works just as good as scart(if not better as it has a standardised sync) you can use a RetroTink RGB2Comp for the conversion if you want to hook up any scart devices
Fear is the mind killer!
AngelicLiver

redsteakraw wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:57 pm If you can get NTSC TVs get ones with Component video inputs it works just as good as scart(if not better as it has a standardised sync) you can use a RetroTink RGB2Comp for the conversion if you want to hook up any scart devices
Unfortunately CRTs with component video, outside of BVM/PVMs in the UK are rare as hens teeth but RGB SCART is the norm here on late 90s/00s sets. I've only seen a couple in the wild and those were extravagant and expensive prosumer sets.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Should have plenty of Scart options in Europe. Finding a NTSC SD consumer TV w/component that can do 50hz... now that's a toughie!
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Certainly my memory of CRT TVs is that many had Scart sockets. I only knew it as Scart back then and certainly didn’t know what RGB was! I do recall it being understood that Scart was a good picture though!!
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

You can't go wrong with a Sony Trinitron, if it has a scart(s) socket, they nearly all do 50 and 60hz.
I have 4, all of most sizes from 14", to 22", and they all do 60hz.
Heck, even 80s CRT monitors I have, all do 60hz. If you don't mind a 14" size CRT, look for a Philips CM8833 Mark 1 or 2, they both do 50/60hz, with the mark 2 looking the slightly better - picture-wise.
One other thing with the Sony Trinitrons is that, if you bring up the service menu (assuming you can find out how to do it with help from the net), you can do some image adjustments with a Scart image - so the menu text is overlaid on the Scart image, allowing for some easy image fine-tuning, such as overscan, etc..
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

That is brilliant help. Thank you so much for taking the time to give such detailed advice. I’ll certainly keep my eye out for your recommendations. Thanks again.
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

PAL Sony Trinitron’s from the 90’s all have 50/60hz modes, Toshiba Quintrix’s usually do to. I highly recommend the Phillip’s 14PT3685/05 which also has a lovely picture.
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Swainy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:31 pm PAL Sony Trinitron’s from the 90’s all have 50/60hz modes, Toshiba Quintrix’s usually do to. I highly recommend the Phillip’s 14PT3685/05 which also has a lovely picture.
More great advice. Really helpful and it has given me a brilliant start if I need to look for a set.