CGC Round 15 core: Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Round 15 core: Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Nominations for this core are closed.

NES-Famicom.jpg
NES-Famicom.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 3503 times

Following a series of arcade game successes in the early 1980s, Nintendo made plans to create a cartridge-based console called the Family Computer, or Famicom. Masayuki Uemura designed the system. The console's hardware was largely based on arcade video games, particularly the hardware for Namco's Galaxian (1979) and Nintendo's Radar Scope (1980) and Donkey Kong (1981), with the goal of matching their powerful sprite and scrolling capabilities in a home system. Original plans called for an advanced 16-bit system which would function as a full-fledged computer with a keyboard and floppy disk drive, but Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi rejected this and instead decided to go for a cheaper, more conventional cartridge-based game console as he believed that features such as keyboards and disks were intimidating to non-technophiles.

System info

Core info

Please make your nominations (up to three) for games to add to our first list, and please second ALL the nominated games you'd be interested in playing so we can weight those games more favorably in the randomizer.

When two weeks have passed, we will again make a game selection at random and begin playing.

Nominated games:
Silver Surfer *
Fire 'n' Ice *
Journey to Silius *
Metal Storm *

Nominations for this core are closed.

redsteakraw

Re: CGC Round 15 core: Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I nominate Silver Surfer for the NES it has great music varied levels and level select and is difficult yet keeps you wanting to try just one more time. It also isn't the most popular game so many may try this for the first time, it also is a game with simple pickup and play controls so not too difficult to get started.
Fear is the mind killer!
PistolsAtDawn

redsteakraw wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:14 pm I nominate Silver Surfer for the NES it has great music varied levels and level select and is difficult yet keeps you wanting to try just one more time. It also isn't the most popular game so many may try this for the first time, it also is a game with simple pickup and play controls so not too difficult to get started.
Excellent. That is my kind of game (in particular because I haven't played that one). I second Silver Surfer!
PistolsAtDawn

Okay, after much deliberation I nominate:

Gargoyle's Quest II - this game is in the Demon's Crest (SNES) line. A late release for the NES, but a solid game nonetheless

Fire 'N' Ice - A fun puzzle platformer

Journey to Silius - This was intended to be a Terminator game based on the movie, but then the license was pulled. Sunsoft released it anyway with some minor tweaks
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

I Second Silver Surfer, Fire 'n' Ice & Journey to Silius (the music is just great in that game).

My nominations are (and this was a hard one):

- Asterix (well. it's Asterix) remember to change to PAL. That's right... PAL.

- Lagrange Point (English Translation) Futuristic RPG with music that's to die for.

- Metal Storm, I need an excuse to play more Metal Storm.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:34 pm - Metal Storm, I need an excuse to play more Metal Storm.
Metal Storm was #4 on my list of nominations, so I will definitely second that!

This was a tough round. Of course my favorite NES games came to mind immediately, but I have already put 12,000,000 hours into them (true story). To get away from those I had to scour some "hidden gems" lists to find some candidates. I watched a lot of YouTube videos for all of them, but I have played none before. Then I had to pick just three of those which also took me a while.
PistolsAtDawn

Last call for NES nominations!

PistolsAtDawn

The random game is Journey To Silius!