Update Script Not Updating in the Last Few Days

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
jca
Top Contributor

Update Script Not Updating in the Last Few Days

Unread post by jca »

The update script seems to not update anything in the last few days. This affects Joust2, Express Raider, Lady Bug, Crystal Castle and Tropical Angel.
I was under the impression that the new update system used an automated scanner periodically scanning the repositories and updating MISTer DB. I vaguely remember reading something like that when the new update system came out; it also seemed to work that way: within a few hours of an update in a repository the update script would grab it.
May be it was my imagination.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Update Script Not Updating in the Last Few Days

Unread post by Malor »

I ran it just now, and here are some excerpts from the results:

Code: Select all

SECTION: distribution_mister

Removing /media/fat/_Arcade/cores/LadyBug_20210927.rbf
Removing /media/fat/_Arcade/cores/Joust2_20221025.rbf

Downloading 8 files:
_Arcade/Crystal Castles.mra
_Arcade/Express Raider.mra
_Arcade/Western Express (Japan, rev 4).mra
_Arcade/cores/CrystalCastles_20221121.rbf
_Arcade/cores/ExpressRaider_20221121.rbf
_Arcade/cores/Joust2_20221120.rbf
_Arcade/cores/LadyBug_20221121.rbf
docs/PSX/README.md

SECTION: arcade_roms_db

Downloading 2 files:
games/mame/ccastles.zip
games/mame/exprraid.zip
It looks correct here. Maybe you have something set wrong in the ini, or perhaps your ini is corrupt?
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

It's working now. :)
I had the same problem jca reported.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Yes, it is working now. The previous time I tried was around 3 hours ago and it was not working.
I am just curious if my suspicion of an automatic and periodic update of MISTer DB is true or if it is just an idea in my mind.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I see that on https://github.com/MiSTer-devel "Distribution_MiSTer" has been updated 14 min ago so I may have dreamed about this automatic and periodic update.
I also noticed that Tropical Angel has not been updated by the update script but something is strange: it says that it was updated 14 hours ago but the repository for that core shows the latest update has been done 8 days ago. :?:
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

Tropical Angel repository has multiple development branches which are frequently updated. The master branch which contains releases, on the other hand, has indeed been not updated for a week now.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks, I noticed the same with PCXT and got the same answer about branches. So it is better not to rely on the update time shown on https://github.com/MiSTer-devel but on the repository of the core itself. Lesson learned.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just checked https://github.com/MiSTer-devel "Distribution_MiSTer" and now it has been updated 3 min ago so the automatic and periodic update of MISTer DB must be true. The repository scanner must have died during the weekend or been in maintenance.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Makes sense. I didn't try updating then, but since NML32 saw the same thing, it was probably server-side.

It might be once an hour; I had an issue maybe ten days ago where I tried to update and didn't see something new that we were talking about in some thread, but it worked like 90 minutes after that.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It could have been this one:
viewtopic.php?p=63573#p63573

I must say that the update script has been a huge addition to MISTer, even with the old updater.
I remember the time when there was no updater and a new core or an update to a core was announced you had to to it yourself by going to the repo and download what was needed.
There was also no mras and you had to build the rom yourself using a batch file provided in the release.
Those were the days ...
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Glad I missed that era, although it would have been cheaper to buy in back then. The pricing on the Nano is a fair bit higher these days.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Malor wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:55 pm Glad I missed that era, although it would have been cheaper to buy in back then. The pricing on the Nano is a fair bit higher these days.
I got mine for $130.00. Initially I was looking for a development board to learn FPGA: I bumped into Grant Searles web site with his Multicomp core running on 20-30$ tiny FPGA board. I bought one and was impressed and realized that learning FPGA was doable. Looking for a development board the DE10 nano was impressive for the price and there was this MISTer project using it. The SOC part almost prevented me to buying it as it is not the ideal when you want to learn FPGA a non SOC one is preferable. Nether the less I went with it, got horrified with the SOC part, tried MISTer and never went back. I got a DE1 on ebay to learn FPGA, I have to spend a little more time on that: too many things to do, so little time.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Mine was about $250 with shipping, got it in January. I started out being purely interested in the Mister project, but I've been getting pretty curious about the FPGA aspects, so we may be following mirrored paths.

Of course, I need to play less and study more for anything to happen there. The DE-10 Nano was probably a huge boost to FPGA development, but I kind of wonder if, net-net, the Mister project ends up being an even bigger detriment because it's such a great distraction. :)