Audio out to a CRT using a vga to RGB Scart cable

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
IandMR

Audio out to a CRT using a vga to RGB Scart cable

Unread post by IandMR »

I have another question perhaps somebody has an answer to.

I am using a high quality cable to send RGB Scart to a Trinitron CRT

https://ultimatemister.com/product/rgb-scart-cable/

The picture is fine but when I plug the 3.5mm stereo jack on the cable into the audio out on the mister the sound through the TV is massively interfered with and extremely low volume. Completely useless.

When I use the audio out with an optical cable into a DAC, amp and speakers the sound is amazing so that is fine.

Is there a setting somewhere I need to enable or disable or am I setting this up incorrectly to get sound out of the TV?

If I can’t get sound out of the TV I think I will need magnetically shielded speakers and need to send the audio via optical to DAC and amp.

If I can’t get sound out if the TV what is the audio cable for in the cable I bought above?

Thanks everybody!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Audio out to a CRT using a vga to RGB Scart cable

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

For best results you should plug the 3.5 jack on the scart cable into a DAC connected via optical. The onboard DAC ain't great... although it shouldn't be THAT bad either.

Aside from the core/global volume settings there isn't much you can do in Mister, aside from toggling the audio to 96khhz or not. It would mostly come down to the cable construction and the state of your TV speakers.
IandMR

Re: Audio out to a CRT using a vga to RGB Scart cable

Unread post by IandMR »

Thanks for the reply. It turns out I had the global volume low which is quite loud through the amp. Ricardo (top man) at ultimatemister, like you, suggested I check. Surprisingly this was causing the volume on the TV to be almost inaudible and as the TV volume was at max every bit of interference was being picked up. With the mister global volume at max and the TV volume at about 2/3 it is all good.I feel a bit daft now!!