Is It Possible to Develop MSX2 Core?

suww37

Is It Possible to Develop MSX2 Core?

Unread post by suww37 »

I'm using the MSX1 core very conveniently. The OCM msx core developed by KDL is difficult to boot the cartridge or disk image directly and requires a launcher called a sofarun. The MSX1 core can directly load ROM and disk images, just like any other console core. In particular, the bios loading function of the MSX1 core is very good. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the MSX1 core, games larger than MSX2 are not possible to run. I would like the MSX2 core to be developed. Who has any plans to develop the MSX2 core?

DevilHunterWolf

Re: Is It Possible to Develop MSX2 Core?

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

From: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MSX_MiSTer - "Features: MSX2/Plus/3."

It already is an MSX2 core. I just loaded Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2 game) and F1 Spirit 3D Special (MSX2+ game) on the core through sofarun on MiSTer. I can confirm that more than the MSX1 library can be played on the MSX core, just as it says on its github page.
suww37 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:49 pm Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the MSX1 core, games larger than MSX2 are not possible to run.
What do you mean by "games larger than MSX2"?
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

My mistake. I didn't realize there had been a separate MSX1 core being made. I only saw the question on the recent posts section, not in the Other Computer / System Cores section. Anyone else looking at this and confused as I was, there is another thread in this same section that talks about it and the core is located at https://github.com/tdlabac/MSX1_MiSTer.

But considering the MSX1 core is still being updated as recent as the last 24 hours, I would maybe give them some time to at least finish their work on the MSX1 core before asking about an MSX2 core. Development takes time and split project attention doesn't work for everyone.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:32 am My mistake. I didn't realize there had been a separate MSX1 core being made. I only saw the question on the recent posts section, not in the Other Computer / System Cores section. Anyone else looking at this and confused as I was, there is another thread in this same section that talks about it and the core is located at https://github.com/tdlabac/MSX1_MiSTer.

But considering the MSX1 core is still being updated as recent as the last 24 hours, I would maybe give them some time to at least finish their work on the MSX1 core before asking about an MSX2 core. Development takes time and split project attention doesn't work for everyone.
But thats odd. Why not use the one that supports MSX and MSX2?
suww37

Unread post by suww37 »

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:32 am My mistake. I didn't realize there had been a separate MSX1 core being made. I only saw the question on the recent posts section, not in the Other Computer / System Cores section. Anyone else looking at this and confused as I was, there is another thread in this same section that talks about it and the core is located at https://github.com/tdlabac/MSX1_MiSTer.

I think the MSX1 core is almost in the completion stage. The developer who will create this core doesn't seem to be interested in creating the MSX2 core. I'm just interested in whether there are developers who are interested in msx2 core.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

neogeo81 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:56 am

But thats odd. Why not use the one that supports MSX and MSX2?
The MSX core (the 'official' one currently available via downlaoders etc) is really a '1-chip MSX'. It can't load carts or floppy images and has a few other limitations I can't remember. The only way to load games/carts etc is to use a loader called 'sofarun' that loads them from the hard disk.

It's sorta like if the amiga core was WHDLoad only.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

oh ok, so the new MSX1 core that was released yesterday is such a core that can load carts and floppys?

dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:41 pm

oh ok, so the new MSX1 core that was released yesterday is such a core that can load carts and floppys?

Yes, the MSX1 core that was released is based on Philips VG8020 hardware and can load carts and floppies. The other core is a port of the 1chipMSX FPGA system that was originally released in 2006 and is based around MSX-2 hardware.