Does this AliExpress Spinner Work with MiSTer?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jamespo

Does this AliExpress Spinner Work with MiSTer?

Unread post by jamespo »

aberu
Core Developer

Re: Does this AliExpress Spinner Work with MiSTer?

Unread post by aberu »

Only 3 orders, only 6 left, no reviews, and really shoddy looking standards for this case design. All for $73 bucks? Too expensive for me to try to buy one to find out, definitely not worth the risk. I wouldn't have a problem if this was someone's little DIY case, but when you are selling a product you need to have higher standards than this case design, it makes me suspicious about the rest of it.

Every time I see these expensive spinners I just see market potential for someone to come in and show them how it's done with a proper custom case that isn't an off the shelf project box.
Attachments
2ZGHxMq09s.png
2ZGHxMq09s.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 821 times
birdybro~
jamespo

Unread post by jamespo »

Yes, I don’t want to risk it myself, unfortunately the options for spinners seem to be minuscule.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Build one yourself.
You can do it on the cheap (ish), by using an Incremental Rotary Encoder with at least 600p/r, then look on ebay for a plastic enclose box of the size you want (large enough for a spinner and button or two), drill the holes in the plastic box, mount the spinner, wire it up to USB, mount the buttons, cheap USB encoder, and you're good to go.
Or, the expensive route, but most reliable - meaning it will just work (seen as a mouse). Get a full Ultimarc SpinTrak - full, meaning a knob + weight, get an Ultimarc IPAC 2 - if you also want buttons (can also use a trackball off the same controller), get some 28mm or 30mm buttons - whatever type you prefer (concave, convex, clicky, or leaf switch...etc..), look on eBay for an arcade joystick case, or acrylic arcade joystick case, mount everything in the case, connect the IPAC encoder, and you're good to go, and it will work on the Mister.