Samba on Mac OSX

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
retroplace

Samba on Mac OSX

Unread post by retroplace »

Hi there,

I just set up my MiSTer including update_all. To make life a bit easier, I wanted to try connecting my Mac via Samba with Mister but I seem to miss something. Samba is turned on on the MiSTer but when I try to connect via "smb://mister" it will not connect.

Is there something I am missing?

Best

Armin

UPDATE: So I renamed the _samba.sh script to samba.sh and it works now. I thought this was not necessary as I ran the script samba_on and thought that would do the trick …
lagerfeldt

Re: Samba on Mac OSX

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Another option is to use something like FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=osx

Then connect via sftp

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Your router may not have yet cached the network name of the MiSTer the first time if you couldn't contact it by the short name and not the FQDN. If it happens again in the future try adding ".local" to the end of the network name (or just use the IP address).

This will happen occasionally on my router running openwrt, but a FQDN will normally help if I can't contact my MiSTer by the short name.

I don't think renaming a script should be necessary. I think that your router had simply cached the network name of the MiSTer by the time you tried again, if you didn't try the FQDN that is.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If you set a reservation on your DHCP server (typically the router), so that the Mister always gets the same IP number, you can just use that to connect to.

smb://1.2.3.4/filesharename

I don't know what the share name defaults to. I store my files on a NAS, which is the exact opposite thing.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

lagerfeldt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:13 pm

Another option is to use something like FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=osx

Then connect via sftp

Yeah don't need that if you are on KDE / Linux my Steam deck can ftp into the MiSTer from my default file manager Dolphin. I guess I take for granted how it is to be on a platform that just has it all built in by default.

Fear is the mind killer!
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

OP isn't on Linux, however, so that's not a direct solution for them. MacOS should have similar tools available, though, as it's functionally Unix.

BigMac2

Unread post by BigMac2 »

lagerfeldt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:13 pm

Then connect via sftp

Cybeduck (https://cyberduck.io) is a good alternative on MacOS for sftp connection.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Yeah don't need that if you are on KDE / Linux my Steam deck can ftp into the MiSTer from my default file manager Dolphin. I guess I take for granted how it is to be on a platform that just has it all built in by default.

You do know that macOS has both FTP and SMB built into the Finder? No need to pretend that this is a feature unique to Linux or KDE.

The original poster is struggling with having his network expose the named “MiSTer” share, not with SMB/FTP as protocols. Depending on how the local network is set up, you might have to use the IP address directly (found in the MiSTer OSD if you press F12 and arrow left) instead of a hostname. (…but in this case was a case of script naming, it looks like)