ARC Break if MiSTer Is Connected to Sound Bar but Not Powered

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
galopin

ARC Break if MiSTer Is Connected to Sound Bar but Not Powered

Unread post by galopin »

Hi,

I noticed a 100% repro issue with my setup. LG TV to sound bar to mister.

In that configuration, if let the mister un-powered. The TV and SB will fail to handshake and enable ARC audio. If mister is powered, no problem. If I turn off mister while things are running good. ARC will disconnect after some times. And finally, unplugging the hdmi cable will let the ARC turns back on.

Ideas ?

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: ARC Break if MiSTer Is Connected to Sound Bar but Not Powered

Unread post by Malor »

It's pretty common to need an adapter to strip out the CEC line; the Mister causes many devices to malfunction if that pin is connected. That's how you can have one device in an HDMI chain turn the others off and on, and perhaps change their volume. Whatever the Mister is doing with that pin, an awful lot of devices don't like it.

If you've got a Mister Multisystem, they have a DIP switch to disconnect that built in. Otherwise, you can buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI- ... 07BFL8TM8/

I don't know if that specific one is any good, or if it's even a good price, I'm just trying to show you what you need. There should be lots of options.

This is another one with an on/off switch for CEC, and which may support higher bandwidth, but it's showing as $20 for me, instead of the $10 for the first option:

https://www.amazon.com/Blocker-Intercep ... 0BC83BD6S/

Another option, of course, is to just leave your MiSTer on all the time. It typically pulls less than 10W.

galopin

Unread post by galopin »

Interesting to see it is not something unprecedented, I did not know there was adapter to disconnect the CEC path !

I still prefer to keep it off, not that it would make much of a difference, roughly $2 on a $300 per month bill... Work from home has sky rocket my electric bill, and I still must get some electric work to get an extra outlet on an additional 20A breaker before something bad happen !

held

Unread post by held »