Help With Analog I/O & Component Video Output

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
esmith13

Help With Analog I/O & Component Video Output

Unread post by esmith13 »

Hello all,

I am looking for some help with setting up my MiSTer to use Component Video output via the Analog I/O board HD15 connector. No matter what I have tried, all I get is a garbled mess on my Sony FD Trinitron Wega (KV-32FV26). Any other component equipment I have tried works perfectly fine on this TV. It has gotten regular use for a few years now, just getting around to trying MiSTer on it now.

For the MiSTer side of things I have an older model (maybe v5 from 2019) Analog I/O board and a Monoprice #2170 HD15 to 3 RCA cable.

These are the settings I have in my MiSTer.ini that I believe are relevant to making component output work:

forced_scandoubler=0
ypbpr=1
composite_sync=1
vga_scaler=0
direct_video=0

I have also tried setting the SOG switch on the analog board to both positions. I get two different flavors of garbled mess depending on the direction I set it.

I have had no issues with HDMI output and I have even previously had success with using a VGA monitor via the analog board without issues. Perhaps my issue lies with a setting I enabled in the past to get true VGA output working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.

MiSTer Consoles

Re: Help With Analog I/O & Component Video Output

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

I have composite_sync=0 in my ini. There is also a new setting for SOG that needs to be set in there if you have a newer board along with flipping the SOG switch on the board.

vga_sog=1 ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).

esmith13

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:19 pm

I have composite_sync=0 in my ini. There is also a new setting for SOG that needs to be set in there if you have a newer board along with flipping the SOG switch on the board.

vga_sog=1 ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).

Thanks for the info. I'll try composite_sync=0.

vga_sog=1 os only for newer v6 boards that can digitally set the SOG mode. My board is too old to use that method, I have a physical switch only.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If you were playing with vga monitor earlier you may have changed the scandoublerfx setting in some cores. That will force 31khz output even if you have forced_scandoubler=0. You'd have to go into those core's menu and turn off any such thing. Still the menu core has no such option so if that isn't even working...

esmith13

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:29 pm

If you were playing with vga monitor earlier you may have changed the scandoublerfx setting in some cores. That will force 31khz output even if you have forced_scandoubler=0. You'd have to go into those core's menu and turn off any such thing. Still the menu core has no such option so if that isn't even working...

Good tip and still worth a look in general, but it is true that even the menu on a cold boot is garbled.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I also recall someone looking at the electronics and discovering suspect diodes or something in their SoG circuit that they had to replace. Think they were using an Aliexpress I/O board.

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I've had trouble with an I/O board's stereo sound not working. It was a bad solder connection on one of the resistor packs that needed reflowing.