Off the Shelf Trackball Options

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
charmless

Off the Shelf Trackball Options

Unread post by charmless »

I really want to pick up a trackball to use with Mister and Mame. I am having a hard time finding one on the used market. So, would something like a Kensington trackball work well? https://www.kensington.com/p/products/e ... ackball-3/

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

XtraSmiley

Re: Off the Shelf Trackball Options

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

If you're going for a computer one, I would think bigger is better, like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1WQPX6/

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MTE32Y/

But I would stick with an arcade made one.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

I was looking at this Couchcade and thinking it could be an easy mod to make into a wired USB controller with a £20 interface board.

https://qwirkyshop.com/products/arcade1 ... de-machine

12472-atari-couchcade-front-and-back.jpg
12472-atari-couchcade-front-and-back.jpg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Computer trackballs aren't really a great substitute for an arcade trackball.

charmless

Unread post by charmless »

Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I am staying clear of Computer trackballs. The Couchecade option is tempting.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

I tried the Kensington trackball way, and it works. The Kensington trackball is seen as a normal USB Mouse, and works as a mouse. But, it's like controlling a marble, rather than a trackball - it does work well enough.
The Atari Couchcade is a bit cumbersome, and has a rather large footprint - worse if you sit at a table/desk for your Mister because the couchcade takes up sooooo much room, it's even larger than my Hori Real Arcade Stick. and, you have to hope it has wiring that is compatible with a USB controller - but, you need a USB controller that has trackball support. Something like an Ultimarc IPAC 2 will support trackball, joystick, buttons, and even a spinner, all on one controller. The couchcade's main problem is that it is wireless, it uses a separate little wireless box to connect to the TV, and couchcade.

I am going to try a different route, and try to see if one of these can be modded/wired to an Ultimarc IPAC 2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EYF7YQ

I have two of these, and the size is perfect for Mister use. The trackball is a little stiff, so may need some modding there. The buttons are smaller than normal 28/30mm, but they click, and feel ok. There might even be room for a spinner by drilling a 30mm hole underneath the Left and Right buttons.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:18 pm

and, you have to hope it has wiring that is compatible with a USB controller - but, you need a USB controller that has trackball support. Something like an Ultimarc IPAC 2 will support trackball, joystick, buttons, and even a spinner, all on one controller.

Actually I seem to remember that Arcade1up needs it's own interface to connect their spinners. So it might be more difficult than I was thinking.

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:18 pm

I am going to try a different route, and try to see if one of these can be modded/wired to an Ultimarc IPAC 2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EYF7YQ

I'll be interested in see how you get on with this. I got hold of a PSX trackball with an idea to convert it to USB, but the mechanics were reversed to the
ball mouse I was going to strip of it's sensors.

Chilli_Vibes

I'll be interested in see how you get on with this. I got hold of a PSX trackball with an idea to convert it to USB, but the mechanics were reversed to the ball mouse I was going to strip of it's sensors.

Here are some pics of the insides. I guess, like the Couchcade trackball + spinner, all you really need is access to wiring of X and Y (both directions), Ground, and possibly 5v.
As you can see in a couple of pics, the boards have the directions written on them, so that should help with X1 X2, Y1 Y2 on the IPAC. Just need to find ground, and maybe a 5v feed if it uses one.

Attachments
IMG_20221211_212141.jpg
IMG_20221211_212141.jpg (139.77 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IMG_20221211_212129.jpg
IMG_20221211_212129.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IMG_20221211_212114.jpg
IMG_20221211_212114.jpg (186.3 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IMG_20221211_212108.jpg
IMG_20221211_212108.jpg (139.05 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IMG_20221211_212058.jpg
IMG_20221211_212058.jpg (230.2 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
IMG_20221211_212256.jpg
IMG_20221211_212256.jpg (248.58 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:54 pm

Here are some pics of the insides. I guess, like the Couchcade trackball + spinner, all you really need is access to wiring of X and Y (both directions), Ground, and possibly 5v.
As you can see in a couple of pics, the boards have the directions written on them, so that should help with X1 X2, Y1 Y2 on the IPAC. Just need to find ground, and maybe a 5v feed if it uses one.

So what signal does IPAC want from a trackball and spinner. They both use an optical sensor through a slit fly wheel, so there's a pulse, but there's also logic to say which direction the pulse should be sent.

Chilli_Vibes

I have an IPAC2 in my modded Arcade1up Street Fighter, along with some buttons for 2 players, 2x Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT Joysticks, an Ultimarc Spintrak, but no Ultimarc Trackball, only a cheap PS/2 mini trackball - so I don't use that feature on the IPAC2.
Here is a close-up of the IPAC2 board.

8103WoRXn8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
8103WoRXn8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (205.7 KiB) Viewed 7473 times

You will see the block where the trackball connector sits, it's for Ultimarc's own U-Trak Trackball. The connectors are labelled X1 X2 Y1 Y2 +5v and Ground. I'm just guessing, but I would expect X1 X2 is for left and right, while Y1 and Y1 are for Up and Down.
On the Golden Tee trackball motherboard there are 8 wires going to the main board, 4 are labelled UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT - so they could be wired to the IPAC X1 X2 Y1 Y2. I would need to use a multi-meter to see if a 5v cable is used, as well as ground. The trackball on the Golden Tee also uses a slit fly wheel, so it MIGHT work, or might not work. Since I have a un-used Boxed Golden Tee - the one in the pics above, and a loose, but well-used Golden Tee as a spare, I may as well give this a try. If it works, we all then have an "option" if anyone else wants to try - the unit makes for a really nice, and smart mini trackball as it's not that big. If it doesn't work, I will just solder the wires back to the Golden Tee board.

I'm just waiting delivery of an IPAC2 board - which, unfortunately, has been posted vie Royal Mail, and they're on strike for some days upto xmas.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

So I bit the bullet and got a Couchcade from Santa to see if it scratches that arcade itch and I got to say it's been good fun. But the intention was always to see if I can hack into it and use it as a USB controller. Going to get a Pi Pico next and see if I can wire it all up, and get some code running.

Here's the inside, the spinner is on the left.

20221226_145150.jpg
20221226_145150.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 7735 times

A close up of the spinner outputs.

20221226_145436.jpg
20221226_145436.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 7735 times

And the trackball wires

20221226_145314.jpg
20221226_145314.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 7735 times
Chilli_Vibes

Nice. Looks like the connections are all labelled for you.
I'm still waiting for my order (IPAC 2) to arrive, but due to Royal Mail strikes it's marked as late as Jan 6th, so I can't do much at the moment.
The only issue I have of the Couchcade is the size of it, it's too big for the desk my Mister is using.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I just got one of these:

41MtTg9xEQL.jpg
41MtTg9xEQL.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 7471 times

It is pretty cheap and works well on the MiSTer (you need a PS/2 to USB adapter, not all types work with it). You can use another controller for the buttons or connect three arcade buttons to it (which you then have to somehow mount to something).

This one has a transparent ball with a green light, which turns red when one of its buttons is pressed.

Chilli_Vibes

I also have one of the above, it's ok for the cheap price they go for.
Problem is, you need a mounting plate for it, and I haven't found a UK seller that sells them, only a Chinese seller.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:49 pm

I also have one of the above, it's ok for the cheap price they go for.
Problem is, you need a mounting plate for it, and I haven't found a UK seller that sells them, only a Chinese seller.

They have it at this Dutch shop, but I don't know if that helps much.
https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/index.php?r ... =trackball

Chilli_Vibes

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, because of our (UK) Brexit stupidity, buying anything from Europe is a hit-and-miss lottery at the moment.
But thanks anyway. I will post here if I get the Golden Tee working as a USB trackball, when the USB controller arrives in Jan 2023.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:36 pm

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, because of our (UK) Brexit stupidity, buying anything from Europe is a hit-and-miss lottery at the moment.
But thanks anyway. I will post here if I get the Golden Tee working as a USB trackball, when the USB controller arrives in Jan 2023.

Sadly, yeah. And the other way around as well: A $1 PCB from the UK got stuck for a month in customs here and I had to pay something like $4 duty for it.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm

The only issue I have of the Couchcade is the size of it, it's too big for the desk my Mister is using.

Yeah I was concerned about that, but it actually plays well from the lap.
The spinner and trackball have some spin momentum and feel responsive. The the buttons are crap, but they can be swapped out.

So I'll see what I can do with a Pico, without destroying it and see if I can get my head around the code. If not I can always recycle it on Ebay.

padman

Unread post by padman »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:36 pm

I just got one of these:

It is pretty cheap and works well on the MiSTer (you need a PS/2 to USB adapter, not all types work with it). You can use another controller for the buttons or connect three arcade buttons to it (which you then have to somehow mount to something).

This one has a transparent ball with a green light, which turns red when one of its buttons is pressed.

Which PS/2 to USB adapter did you use ? I have the Monoprice adapter and does not seem to work when plugged into the Mister. Ball lights green but I tried the input test utility, no response ! Thanks

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

padman wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:59 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:36 pm

I just got one of these:

41MtTg9xEQL.jpg

Which PS/2 to USB adapter did you use ? I have the Monoprice adapter and does not seem to work when plugged into the Mister. Ball lights green but I tried the input test utility, no response ! Thanks

Mine looks like this https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004071752367.html

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

The arcade 1up couchcade is reduced at game in the uk for £99.98 at the moment. I couldnt see if anyone managed to get one amended to work on mister or not though.

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

I always loved Arkanoid, but I found playing with the mouse quite cumbersome compared to the arcade. Would anyone recommend playing with a trackball or is the spinner the only way to go ?

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

Arkanoid, does infact play very well with a trackball.
I would go as far as to say, it plays slightly better due to how easier it is to manipulate the trackball with your fingers.
It's just a shame that the Tron games require an actual spinner, because I have never been able to get both Tron games to work with a mouse, trackball, or a spinner that is seen as a mouse.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

download/file.php?id=8015

That black splodge is to stop people probing the chip underneath. I've not found anyone who's been able to decode the signals.

You can go to Thundersticks and get USB replacement parts but you'll be adding a further $50 plus shipping. Also the ABC buttons are too far apart to be comfortable for missile command. That game needs volcano buttons

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

This looks like a decent open source option

https://ploopy.co/adept-trackball/