PDP2011 port to MiSTer FPGA

NinjaWarrior

Re: PDP2011 port to MiSTer FPGA

Unread post by NinjaWarrior »

Malor wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:50 am

A lot of the reason you have all this great stuff to play with is the GPL. The vast majority of the software on the Mister exists because it can build on all the GPLed software that came before it, like the Linux kernel and all the userspace utilities.

It's not "legal gibberish", it's important. Trying to stick proprietary code into a GPLed project can, in some cases, be outright illegal, at least to the extent that copyright infringement is illegal. Most GPL holders are pretty reasonable about stuff, generally only demanding that you live up to the license terms, but the disruption downstream can be considerable. Making sure everyone complies with the license terms up front can save a lot of hassle.

Had earlier projects not had similar discussions, enforcing the terms of the license, you would not have a MiSTer. Ignore thirty years of history at your peril.

You feel better now? More social perhaps? I bet it is nice to twist another person post and make your pose of great guy in front of others. I made your day, so I am really happy for you. Enjoy it.

What we have in this thread is some users pretending to be lawyers, with a personal discord in the background between two users. An individual using legal terms like he is an actual legal expert to attack another user is for me legal gibberish, not the GPL stuff which I bet know better than you by the way. But oh well, as said, you can use my words to showoff yourself. You have my permission.

For me, only those users that are REAL lawyers experts in licensing have enough authority in this matter. Personal vendettas between users (code developers) using "legal" reasons is pretending to be something they are not. So, gibberish.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

So, posturing.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Thanks for your hard work on the core Rampa, the more simulations of this classic hardware the better. :)

birdybro~
wvisser

Unread post by wvisser »

Wow, great to see this core come to MiSTer!

I'm try to get it working with the BSD image but not having much luck...(admittedly, I don't know what I'm doing).

I install the core, attach the BSD image to the RM/RP (RH) disk, set the model to 70 and try to boot. A message pops up saying:
"70Boot from xp(0,0,0) at 0176700"
"Press <CR> to boot, or any other key to abort:"

If I press CR, ": xp(0,0,0)unix" appears, then a line stating:
"unix: !directory,mode 0 size: 0 ip 56232"

That repeats a few times and then:
"unix not found"

I'm using the Nankervis image. Any ideas?

sharklodon

Unread post by sharklodon »

Improvements (suggested):

Thanks,
Shark

d97

Unread post by d97 »

I wasn't sure if I should be creating a separate thread for this question but I didn't think it really warranted it's own topic.

I recently installed pdp2011 and have been stumbling around the core trying to figure a few things out. For some reason, I really want to play Colossal Cave / Adventure on this core. I've been able to get it up and running using several of the images that are linked to in the first post but I seem to really struggle when not being able to visually "backspace over" my mistakes.

I have found that the bsd2.11 RH.dsk unix image (which does let me backspace) has a bunch of games in the usr folder and all the ones that I've tested seem to launch with ./whateverTheGameIsCalled but not adventure. Adventure just hangs. Is there something I'm missing? (Or, is there another .dsk image that will let me use the backspace key?)

If anybody can give me any hints, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

D.

Beiriannydd

Unread post by Beiriannydd »

I was able to load one of the RSTS images and ADVENT. If your terminal is interpreted as a dumb terminal or teletype then it will print the character that you deleted which can be confusing. There's probably a way to setup the terminal as a VT100 with backspace support but it's been a long time and I was a mere user/student back then. I do remember the behavior being what it did. I did notice that I couldn't use any of my 2k cluster images. The only images which seemed to work were 512byte cluster images. I'd be happy to work with the author to see if we can figure out the root cause.