Section for Wishes

Discussion about the MiSTer forum, suggestions and queries related to the forum.
lomdar67

Section for Wishes

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Just a thought: I see more and more post where people are wishing for a new feature or especially a certain arcade core. Other people chiming in with their "me too" posts, etc. It's fine to request new feature but especially in the arcade section it gets annoying when everybody starts posting their wishes.

Maybe we could have a "Wishes" section wehre people can post such things. Other people who are here for information or to help people can simply ignore that section, so everybody wins. ;-)

We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
zakk4223

Re: Section for Wishes

Unread post by zakk4223 »

I agree. There's a little too much core begging going on, and it needs to be wrangled into some place that makes it obvious they aren't real.

Topics in the 'core support' sections should only be about cores that exist and can run on the Mister. No starting a thread with the name of some computer system/arcade game and just making a 'it would be nice!' post. We all know it would be great to have system X on Mister, that goes without saying

If you're making a topic to point out the existence of an open source core on another system that could maybe be ported to Mister? That's likely ok I'd think.

I don't want to increase the moderation load for anyone (and really who wants to spend any time closing or moving threads) but maybe just creating a subforum for it (or even a stickied thread in the respective sections) and encouraging people to self-regulate would help a bit.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

It depends on if the devs want specific wishes and if they want them here and aggregated into one place.

I do not feel bothered by this at all and want to mention some things to keep in mind:

When is it a discussion and when is it a wish? Discussions and wishes often go hand in hand. Out of a discussion a wish can evolve and out of a wish a discussion can be sparked. Thus it would fragment the threads and cross-thread referencing becomes necessary. Besides adding almost 20 more subforums just so it is easier to "ignore things that are annoying" only overcomplicates the forum and it would need to be enforced by mods, too. Likewise lumping all "wishes" into one subforum would pull them out of context.

But it seems that the issue why you suggest this are not wish-posts in general, but too short replies to them? Some forums have rules against two-word posts, but I find that silly and it creates more work for mods. In general users can be expected to simply ignore posts they do not like.

Rather than change the forum structure users can preface their post titles with [suggestion] or [wish], but that needs to be enforced again and has the same aforementioned issues.
zakk4223 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:56 am No starting a thread with the name of some computer system/arcade game and just making a 'it would be nice!' post.
I think that would be tackled with better thread titles.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

I smell wish post about wish posts :)
Unfortunately can't stop all these wishes. Making separate forum won't stop these wishes in thematic forums. And cleaning the threads is time consuming.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Here's another, much simpler solution: if you can ignore a subforum, surely you can ignore these "annoying" threads too?

Furthermore, the kindly (ahem) named "core begging" has its function too. No, it's not at all obvious, because time and again I've encountered cases where asking about some feature/core/etc was met with: "there is not enough interest". What other way there is of signifying such interest than talking about it?

Of course, repeated threads on the same subject can a be nuisance, that goes without saying. But that's enforceable through rules and moderation, such threads could be simply merged with existing ones. And perhaps Arcade section could indeed use such subforum, due to the sheer number of games, I don't see the need for one in other sections though.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

If a developer was soliciting feedback, this would be fine. But I haven't seen such a thread yet.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

At least we don't yet have core wishlist voting threads like there were for MiST :)