Screen Glitching After Script Launching

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
held

Screen Glitching After Script Launching

Unread post by held »

I have been launching various scripts via the MiSTer menu, and I notice my screen glitching.

For example, this was extremely noticeable when launching ScummVM at higher resolution 4x. Does the FPGA have its own framebuffer? because I get the feeling its not cleared properly. So I actively killed the MiSTer process and the problem still persists. Its showing ScummVM and then the MiSter menu picture glitches through.

Anyone else noticed this?

Bunker

Re: Screen Glitching After Script Launching

Unread post by Bunker »

Mine jitters and it was the vsynch_asjust and vrr_mode settings in the mister.ini file that causes it.

held

Unread post by held »

Bunker wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Mine jitters and it was the vsynch_asjust and vrr_mode settings in the mister.ini file that causes it.

I don't have those values in my MiSTer.ini, did you set them to a specific value?

Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

held wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:07 pm
Bunker wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:39 pm

I don't have those values in my MiSTer.ini, did you set them to a specific value?

I use a LG OLED with gaming mode on, it may be worth starting with a new mister.ini and going from there, mine was generated from new by running the mister.ini script in the script folder without having a mister.ini in the root directory.

ini.png
ini.png (407.98 KiB) Viewed 2662 times

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

I have the same issue. I spent all day yesterday updating, playing with some new scripts (bgm and tty2oled), updating romsets and getting everything all running nice again. The BGM script is ace...

But its been a loooong time since i used my mister, so it was well out of date. Working fine before update, has the glitches since...

I have removed the old settings and ini files, run downloader, done a linux and mister update, then done update_all. i have a fresh new mister.ini and script (its twice the size of the old one and has lots of new settings), all is working great, apart from this screen glitching.

Hope someone has some suggestions...

Its usually when loading new cores and on reboots. It seems to be jiggling the screenmodes, even though i've set 1920 and the TV matches no problem @60hz. I'm using plain old HDMI out. The background flashes with the previous background, screens seem to be stuck in some buffer. I can load the Amiga (MegaAGS) core and see my main menu background picture flashing into view for 1 frame. I had no issues before the update. If i warm reboot the menu back to the menu, i can see the initial desktop picture jump up and down a bit. As if its flashing a buffer but of the same image, if that makes sense.

Above, @Bunker, you said "Mine jitters and it was the vsynch_asjust and vrr_mode settings in the mister.ini file that causes it."
All these settings for me are on 0. Did you have some values in yours or did you resolve by xsetting some values? We need to know what you changed to resolve please. I have tried the vadjust from 0,1 and 2 and no change. The VRR settings i've left alone so far, so are all set at their defaults.

Removing all settings i believe will be irrelevant... Heres what i have.

[MiSTer]
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
vga_mode=rgb ; supported modes: rgb, ypbpr, svideo, cvbs. rgb is default.
ntsc_mode=0 ; Only for S-Video and CVBS vga_mode. 0 - normal NTSC, 1 - PAL-60, 2 - PAL-M.
composite_sync=0 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
vscale_mode=0 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
; 4 - integer resolution scaling, use core aspect ratio
; 5 - integer resolution scaling, maintain display aspect ratio
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
menu_pal=0 ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0 ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0 ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
hdr=0 ; 1 - enable HDR using HLG (recommended for most users)
; 2 - enable HDR using the DCI P3 color space (use color controls to tweak, suggestion: set saturation to 80).
fb_size=0 ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
video_off=0 ; output black frame in Menu core after timeout (is seconds). Valid only if osd_timout is non zero.
video_mode=8
video_info=0
vsync_adjust=1
refresh_min=0
refresh_max=0
video_mode_ntsc=8
video_mode_pal=8
video_brightness=50
video_contrast=50
video_saturation=100
video_hue=0
video_gain_offset=1,0,1,0,1,0
hdr_max_nits=1000
hdr_avg_nits=250
logo=0
hdmi_game_mode=0
vrr_mode=0
vrr_min_framerate=0
vrr_max_framerate=0
vrr_vesa_framerate=0

Any ideas appreciated. Cheers.

TheGMan143

Unread post by TheGMan143 »

I had a very similar issue mainly when loading Sega cores, and the graphics would immediately start glitching and jittering. It was noted my INI file had some outdated settings in it, and was missing some newer settings. A replacement INI was posted, which I copied in to replace my existing file, and the jitter issue was corrected. Ref this topic: viewtopic.php?t=6321

inferno999

Unread post by inferno999 »

hitm4n wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:14 pm

I have the same issue. I spent all day yesterday updating, playing with some new scripts (bgm and tty2oled), updating romsets and getting everything all running nice again. The BGM script is ace...

Hello. I read your post and am having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Sorry no. Still have issue. I imagine setting MiSTer up from scratch will sort it, it probably is some settings stuck somewhere conflicting with newer ones, the issue for me though is not just with Sega cores, it happens on the main menu on first boot! Don't think its my Main Mister.ini, as i deleted that and let the downloader plop a new one in place. Some secondary bunch of settings stored somewhere i guess, but i don't know where. :(