Quick Question on Mounting the Virtual HDD

Sw1tch73ch

Quick Question on Mounting the Virtual HDD

Unread post by Sw1tch73ch »

I have a virtual HDD - called it PCXTHD.IMG. It was working, I even figured out I needed a Keyboard with a number pad to get certain characters like the / and other things that map different on the Tandy 1000 keyboard.

Anyway, yesterday the HDD is no longer mounted as the C: drive. I can't remember how to reconnect it, and my Search Skills are failing me. Can anyone point me to the steps to get this working again?

It's a a 30 MB drive just like my physical T1000SX had. Likely I need to remember the parameters that go with it, too.

kitune-san
Top Contributor

Re: Quick Question on Mounting the Virtual HDD

Unread post by kitune-san »

Is this img file?
Perhaps you have recently updated your MiSTer and PCXT cores?

Since the PCXT core now supports IDE, IMG files and serdrive are no longer available.
IMG files must be converted to VHD.

kitune-san
Top Contributor

Unread post by kitune-san »

...And replace BIOS(xtide).

viewtopic.php?t=5533

Sw1tch73ch

kitune-san wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:36 am

viewtopic.php?t=5533

Oh, that might be important! I did convert the IMG to VHD with the QEMU-IMG tool. I tried reading the release notes, but my tired eyes missed the XTIDE Bios update too.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I thought I'd leaked too many brain cells not figuring this out -- actually, I probably have ;-)

spark2k06
Core Developer

Unread post by spark2k06 »

Sw1tch73ch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:49 am
kitune-san wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:36 am

viewtopic.php?t=5533

Oh, that might be important! I did convert the IMG to VHD with the QEMU-IMG tool. I tried reading the release notes, but my tired eyes missed the XTIDE Bios update too.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I thought I'd leaked too many brain cells not figuring this out -- actually, I probably have ;-)

You don't need to convert anything, just rename from IMG to VHD. Actually the image is treated in RAW format, it is not very complex.

Sw1tch73ch

spark2k06 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:07 am

You don't need to convert anything, just rename from IMG to VHD. Actually the image is treated in RAW format, it is not very complex.

I did try that. For me it didn't work, at first I thought my IMG had be corrupted so I copied it (with .BAD extension) to my desktop and reloaded the old backup IMG with the extension changed to VHD. That still didn't load. I did the convertion and it was happy with that. It's likely it was the XTIDE update ROM that really fixed it. But it is up and working now. I have the Tandy 1000 DOS 3.20 and find I can't set dates above 2020! DOS 3.2 is NOT Y2K compliant LOL.

No problem, I'm not using it for Production work where the save date matters. I just want to play with ancient games and programs, which probably also aren't Y2K ready.