VGA Artifacts?

redsteakraw

VGA Artifacts?

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I got a new VGA CRT monitor did the VGA scaling and set my video settings to 480p with vga scaling. Now what is different from my component consumer TV is that the video takes a slight amount of time to sync with the bios boot screen logos but other than that it is amazingly crisp and looks amazing, it puts my HDTV to shame and my Component TV as well. The problem I have though is in one of my favorite PSX games Dead or Alive it has a weird artifact where halfway down the screen for one scan line there are stretched pixels which look like extended lines on that one scanline. It takes me out of the game, does anyone else have this issue?

Fear is the mind killer!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: VGA Artifacts?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Make sure the vertical resolution isn't over 480p (you can push left in the core menu to get the info screen.) You might need to turn on some vertical crop/stabilize option to stop some games from flowing over into 488p or the like.

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

I recommend fixed vblank with vertical crop off, which means the core will always produce 240/480 lines, which should work good for 480p as it doesn't need any further scaling.

Also you can try to set the vscalemode of the scaler to integer only.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:09 am

I recommend fixed vblank with vertical crop off, which means the core will always produce 240/480 lines, which should work good for 480p as it doesn't need any further scaling.

Also you can try to set the vscalemode of the scaler to integer only.

okay so I had the 480i to 480p hack enabled and that seemed to disable any of the vblanks sync so I disabled it and it went away but then I got Bob jitter and the picture looked way less sharp and awesome but thanks the problem is solved.

EDIT:
I did notice a bug in the core though. On the attract screen it shows the Tecmo logo that logo is getting glitched rendered. I did some testing and it seems it only shows up using the 480i to 480p hack. If you are bug hunting DOA may be a great game as a test bench because of the 480i output and it seems to cover a bunch of edge cases.

Fear is the mind killer!
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The 480p hack only works for dynamic rendered content, so things like static logos often glitch out. It's due to the nature of the hack and unfortunatly nothing i can fix.