Is It Posible to Split Discography Between SD and HDD?

PhDTenma

Is It Posible to Split Discography Between SD and HDD?

Unread post by PhDTenma »

Hello,

So coming from this post I was trying to split my PSX roms into two sets: one in the SD card and another in and HDD. My idea was to put inside the SD card those games that I can notice to have stutter due to the latency of an HDD and keep the rest of roms in an external HDD. The idea was good... But I encounter a problem.

Seems that you are only able to access your folders inside the media where your /games/<Core> is located. That is, if I have in the SD card the /games/PSX folder with some games, I'm not able to access the /media folder. Or am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to split games this way?

Thanks!

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Is It Posible to Split Discography Between SD and HDD?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

You can easily store folders for different cores on different drives by just not having those folders on the external drive. However there's no easy way to do this for a single core.

I do think its possible to use MGL? files to create an effective duplicate of a core, with its own separate games folder. This was recently done for example with game gear, which is using the same SMS core but now has its own separate game folder and settings storage. Using this you could have the folder for your MGL version exist on different storage. I don't know how the update scripts would interact with your own custom MGL though.

PhDTenma

Thanks! That's a good idea! I'll try it!

PhDTenma

That works! And no, the update doesn’t screw with your custom MGLs :)

Another solution is to add a symlink to the folder where you have other roms. The only detail to take into account is that you should make the symlink inside the PSX (or whatever core name) folder with the relative path to the other media folder. If not, the MiSTer won't show those folders.