USB Devices Not Recognised

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
mb426

USB Devices Not Recognised

Unread post by mb426 »

Hi, I was trying to copy the composite comparable custom cores from
viewtopic.php?t=4434
When I put them on my SanDisk 128gb micro sd and put it in I couldn't use my gamepad/computer keyboard

So I reinstalled the mister sd from scratch using the 2.5 Mr fusion, and removed the expansion board with fan, and guess what, the usb micro port which I attatch the usb to either my gamepad or keyboard doesn't work, the light on keyboard flashes for a split second but does not work. I cannot further install anything else because I cannot press any buttons??

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: USB Devices Not Recognised

Unread post by Malor »

Are you sure you're in the right port? I'm pretty sure there are two ports with the same physical shape. The OTG port is on the same face as the network cable, and it's the closest one to the edge, as far from the Ethernet port as it can get. There's another port that looks the same right next to it, but I don't remember what it does. Maybe it's JTAG? Whatever it does, it's not USB.

I'm not sure if it matters, but the USB port is an OTG (on the go) model, which extends the protocol somewhat. If you plug in a hub, you might potentially have trouble if it's not OTG-compatible. You can get little ones for like $10, you don't have to buy the official Mister hub.

mb426

Unread post by mb426 »

Yes I'm using the right port, I'm not using a usb hub, it was working before I tried to copy those custom cores and then it stopped working, I also bought a new SanDisk micro sd today and reinstalled 2.5 Mr fusion still no controller input

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I think you have to use an OTG cable.
Edit: You have to use one.

mb426

Unread post by mb426 »

I bought an new OTG cable, turns out my old one the pins were bent out of shape and wasn't working anymore, only had it for a few months.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

That, right there, is a great deal of why the bottom-mounted hub can be such a good idea. Your cable obviously took a lot of strain it shouldn't have, which means the DE-10's fragile OTG port was also under strain.

The hubs that plug into the bottom, and use a U-shaped connector to bridge the two, take all the strain off the only OTG port you have. Any further stress will be taken by the big, relatively sturdy A ports on the bottom. And if something tragic should happen, it's a lot cheaper to replace the hub than to replace the Nano.