MiSTer FPGA Update Module Retro Castle?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Telemachus

MiSTer FPGA Update Module Retro Castle?

Unread post by Telemachus »

Could someone explain the purpose of this update module?

aliexpress.com/item/1005004114904314.html

Based on a review; I see it has something to do with cleaning up the analog audio?

If that is the modules purpose is this fix included in newer versions of the Retro Castle IO Board or is it required for all versions?

Grumpy-Old-Gamer

Re: MiSTer FPGA Update Module Retro Castle?

Unread post by Grumpy-Old-Gamer »

I would say it's a L2S audio mod like we see on other AIOs

The DE-10 DAC can be a bit noisy

antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

It's a I2S module (better audio DAC) for boards with standard DAC. I did some similar patch board with my older SLIM/DRIVE model. You can see how to install in this video.

It's not needed in current models MINI/PLUS because they have I2S by default

antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

Grumpy-Old-Gamer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:14 pm

I would say it's a L2S audio mod like we see on other AIOs

The DE-10 DAC can be a bit noisy

Yes, but the audio DAC is not in the de10 nano. It's in the analog io board.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Another way around the relatively poor analog sound is to use a Toslink cable to haul the I/O to a receiver or DAC. This is how I do it, and everything sounds splendid.

Apparently the sound can be a little nicer if you set hdmi_audio_96k=1 in the INI. This also applies to the Toslink ports. I guess it improves quality somewhat with cores that use really oddball sampling rates. Almost any receiver can handle this signal; standalone DACs might or might not.

Using the HDMI sound will also work, but that tends to get interrupted when the Mister changes video modes, which happens a lot. The digital-audio-only Toslink port will continue to play smoothly while the monitor figures out what the heck is going on with the new signal.

If you hunt Craigslist, at least if you're in the US, you can get old Denon receivers pretty cheap. They make good quality gear, and anything made since like 2005 should handle a 96K Toslink connection. I got the one I'm using now (a 1909) for $100, and it sounds phenomenal. Just make sure it still comes with the remote, you'll want that. You can typically do anything with the front panel, but it's harder.