How to exit an arcade game

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
ajmartin

How to exit an arcade game

Unread post by ajmartin »

How to exit an arcade game and be back in the arcade directory where you left off. Say I'm playing Robotron, I want to exit the game and be back in R part of the directory.

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: How to exit an arcade game

Unread post by Malor »

The only way I've ever quit a core is with the Reboot command on the right page of the popup menu. This always loses my place, and I have to start over searching. If there's another way to do this, I'd love to know how.

If you don't know this already, most ROM selection screens allow you to type letters to narrow the selection. Just don't type too fast; whatever algorithm it uses doesn't seem to be wildly efficient, and it's easy to overtype the (one character?) buffer, usually resulting in zero ROMs showing.

You can also use update_all.sh to create an organized folder hierarchy under the Arcade folder, so you can browse into shorter lists.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Just activate the OSD, press the right arrow (see note), select core and you will be back in the arcade directory with the game you were using being highlighted.
Note: press the right arrow only if the item highlighted does not have an arrow sign which is usually the case. If it has an arrow go down until you find one without an arrow and then press the right arrow.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Ah, I always avoid doing that because not all cores clear their memory correctly. A warm reboot has seemed more reliable to me, and a cold reboot almost always works. I sometimes have to do a hard poweroff after update_all replaces the Mister binary, however.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I always just select another core. Then when things seem to be wrong, you can reboot to fix it. However, I haven't been experiencing problems just switching cores for a long time now.