MiSTer Video Test Pattern Like 240p Test Suite?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
thisisamigaspeaking

MiSTer Video Test Pattern Like 240p Test Suite?

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Is there any dedicated test core like those under Utility that will generate video test patterns? I'm particularly looking for RGBW gradients for use on HDMI. I see the 240p Test Suite can serve this purpose but I am interested in testing the native default output on HDMI outside of any particular core. This came up in trying to tune the HDR settings.

Could this possibly be done in Linux (via the script mechanism maybe) rather than with a core? Would it be hard to make a core that does this?

thorr
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Video Test Pattern Like 240p Test Suite?

Unread post by thorr »

It should be simple enough to show an image from a script on the Linux side. I don't really see the benefit though. Running the 240p Test Suite should accomplish the same thing unless you need the native resolution.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Probably looking for something that can display the full 8-bit range simultaneously. Maybe ao486 could do it, don't know what software you would need though.

thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

thorr wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 pm

It should be simple enough to show an image from a script on the Linux side. I don't really see the benefit though. Running the 240p Test Suite should accomplish the same thing unless you need the native resolution.

Yeah this works well enough, was hoping for a native image in 24-bit.

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Probably looking for something that can display the full 8-bit range simultaneously. Maybe ao486 could do it, don't know what software you would need though.

Yeah. Was just an idea, not super important. 240pTestSuite is very easy to load.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

For 24-bit tests over analog video testing you could load of Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the PSX core (please note, the analog io board is 18-bit video only, direct video is 24-bit however). Just keep the 24-bit dithering turned off in the OSD.

For HDMI, same thing, it actually uses 24-bit. If you need a raw gradient testing, then you would need to find a test rom.

Like Jakub's test roms, he has a 24-bit movie in it:

https://github.com/JaCzekanski/ps1-test ... /tests.zip

it's located in \mdec\movie\movie-24bit.exe within that zip. This will only work if you turn on debug mode on the psx core and it shows the load .exe option.

birdybro~