MiSTer Doesn't Power Up

Francis

MiSTer Doesn't Power Up

Unread post by Francis »

Hello

I was trying to install a case for mister fpga, but after did the job it doesnt turn on. I hope i doesnt broke anything...

DE10 seems to be ok, but the io board doesnt turn on the fronts leds:

ZLczHYA.jpg
ZLczHYA.jpg (259.53 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
clr4RRx.jpg
clr4RRx.jpg (265.51 KiB) Viewed 3186 times

What could it be ?

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Doesn't Power Up

Unread post by flynnsbit »

remove and reseat your sdcard, check it in a normal pc and make sure it is still working. if thats not it, remove your analog board off the top, test, then remove the memory, test. the DE10 can run without all of those things

held

Unread post by held »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:29 pm

remove and reseat your sdcard, check it in a normal pc and make sure it is still working. if thats not it, remove your analog board off the top, test, then remove the memory, test. the DE10 can run without all of those things

Let me add, that creating a second MiSTer sd-card and testing that might indicate a problem with the first.

Francis

Unread post by Francis »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:29 pm

The problem was the sd card :roll: :roll:

working fine now

ty!

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I thought I broke my DE-10 the day I got it, Francis, for a very similar reason: loose SD card. I felt so stupid after I figured it out.

thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Out of curiosity, what's the white thing on top of the FPGA? You might want to install a fan, and a heat sink with fins, if that isn't some kind of super duper esoteric heat sink.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If that's just foam, like it appears, you definitely want to pull it out of there.

Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Malor wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:34 pm

If that's just foam, like it appears, you definitely want to pull it out of there.

thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:31 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the white thing on top of the FPGA? You might want to install a fan, and a heat sink with fins, if that isn't some kind of super duper esoteric heat sink.

Pretty sure it is the thermal pad for cooling the DE10-nano's Cyclone V SoC when using the passive cooling MiSTer Addons aluminium case, also explains why no fan is present.

thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Xbytez wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:38 am

Pretty sure it is the thermal pad for cooling the DE10-nano's Cyclone V SoC when using the passive cooling MiSTer Addons aluminium case, also explains why no fan is present.

Interesting, not sure I've ever seen one that thick.

Bernouilli

Unread post by Bernouilli »

Last month I almost broke my mister. I connected a 12 V psu instead of the 5V psu. I had both in the same place and didn't notice I took the wrong one.
When I plugged the power cord, the mister started and stopped after a split second. I removed the power and connected it again and same behaviour. Only then I noticed that I had used the wrong psu. The result was that hub was broken and also the usb devices connected to it (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth and keyboard dongle). I was lucky enough that the mister didn't get hurt. It has some kind of protection that turns the power off if it's too high.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Bernouilli wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:45 pm

Last month I almost broke my mister. I connected a 12 V psu instead of the 5V psu. I had both in the same place and didn't notice I took the wrong one.
When I plugged the power cord, the mister started and stopped after a split second. I removed the power and connected it again and same behaviour. Only then I noticed that I had used the wrong psu. The result was that hub was broken and also the usb devices connected to it (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth and keyboard dongle). I was lucky enough that the mister didn't get hurt. It has some kind of protection that turns the power off if it's too high.

For this reason I never disconnect the cable from my MiSTer. I have a cable with the barrel connector on one side and USB on the other and power the MiSTer from a power strip with USB. This way I can be sure to never connect the wrong plug to the MiSTer.